1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iTunes Question re: Editing songs in your playlist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Nov 19, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I have several songs in my playlist that have several seconds of silence at the end of the file. I have other songs that I ripped off of one of those "Best of the '80s"-type of CDs that have half a second of music from the next song at the end of the current song.

Does anyone know how you can go in and edit a song to cut that out? iTunes doesn't seem exactly user-friendly when it comes to editing individual songs.

Thanks in advance.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I don't have an actual answer, but my mildly-educated guess that to do something like that you need an audio editor.

Try audacity or soundtrack pro.

3. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Yes. From memory, and without doing it: right-click a song, hit "Get Info", click on the second tab from the left at the top of the menu that pops up and you can change a start and stop time.

If that's not exact, poke around. The "Get Info" part should work.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com: Part genius, part pervert, part spazz, part philosopher, part companion, part soundboard, part pervert, part big brother, part bully, part pervert, part advisor and sometimes even part journalist!! :D

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I've wondered about this, too. More than half the songs on my playlist are live and there's time on a lot of the songs I'd like to chop off.

I'll try the get info trick.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Instead of using a high-quality sound editor, QuickTimePro should be able to handle this easily. This is not the QuickTime movie player that comes with your computer, but the "pro" version that lets you edit clips. You'll have to fork over a few bucks, or go the illegal route and search for a registration key online. But it will be much cheaper than sound editing software. Once you have it, you'll basically select the audio you want and "crop" the audio you don't. Very easy to use program.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

For the broke/cheap person route, go to www.serials.ws to get a working code. I got mine from there.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

If you want a free, permanent fix download http://www.mptrim.com/. I've got an old version of it and it's incredibly simple, yet effective if you want to permanently get rid of the silence at the end of songs.

It'll even allow you to ad a fade out at the end... or a fade in at the beginning of a track.

But yes, you can also just tell iTunes to stop playing the song at a certain timecode.

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Audacity is free, for what it's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted