1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Watch!... Neighborhood Watch. Not shoot.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Mods, here's your coward.
    A simple WHOIS cross-checked with your more egregious troublemakers should suss him out.
    I have a few tricks of my own, but I prefer to let him labor under the delusion he's fooling anyone.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Dick said he was disgusted with the left, too ... so he's practicing equal opportunity disgust! :D

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bernie de la Rionda should be ashamed of himself:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-prosecutor-prayed-testify/story?id=19666346#.UeQP1FPgJQI

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The reason this case particularly disgusts me is that, because of race, people on the two sides of the aisle aligned opposite their usual sympathies. So lefties became zealous prosecutors. While righties became zealous advocates of defendants' rights. Stomach-turning. (The same thing frequently occurs in rape prosecutions.)

What it does is make me suspect that the political alignment on most issues comes down to race. Or, sometimes, gender. But it's all just identity politics. And that frustrates me, because it means that a lot of people don't have any actual principles. Just pet causes.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I am just amazed that this thread has been somewhat civil in the past 24 hours.

7. YankeeFan

Because he suggested a defendant was a coward not testifying.

That goes against everything our legal system stands for.

He couldn't prove his case, and now wants to blame the defendant for not helping him.

If he needed the defendant's testimony to make his case, he should have never brought it.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, it's not being hosted/moderated in the South ... :D

9. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Dick, who brought race into the equasion? I would suggest it was the news outlet that edited the 911 call to make it should like George Zimmerman offered that Trayvon Martin was black for no reason, when the truth is that he did not mention Martin was black until the dispatcher asked about the race of Martin. Also, I would suggest it was the people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, who got on the first hot plane smoking down to Sanford to yell "No justice, no peace."
    We had the Martin Family's attorney comparing Trayvon to heroes of the civil rights movement. We had a guy being described as "white-Hispanic" on network news for the first time in history.
    If you are upset about the racial component to this trial it's fairly easy to see with whom you should be upset.
    I totally "get" why people are angry. A young kid was killed and it was not necessary. His family has to deal with that...and that's a pain I could never even begin to understand. At the same time, those who would only have been satisfied with George Zimmerman's life being ruined (not that it isn't already ruined) and with his family having to also lose a son, brother, etc. to the prison system...I just don't understand that. We had a trial and he was found not guilty. The system worked. Is the system flawed? Of course, but it's the best system we have. I do not think Zimmerman is the monster he was portrayed to be and honestly think he is emotionally devistated. It would not surprise me if he took his own life in the next year or so. But those looking for their pound of flesh because a young black male was killed by a man defending himself...that's my problem.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Facebook (at least my feed) has been particularly noxious. Lots of people declaring they will never visit Florida or "The South."

I can see not visiting Florida, but that's just because it sucks.

11. I'm sure Disney is revising its quarterly earnings estimate.

12. YankeeFan

Dick, the best known (and most revered by the right) Conservative jurist, Antonin Scalia, is perhaps the fiercest defender of 4th Amendment rights.

I think it's unfair to portray conservatives in general as unsupportive of defendants rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.