1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's true - people buy the newspaper for sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Mar 11, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

They READ the newspaper for sports.

They're no longer buying it.

3. Look at college campuses that give away newspapers. Are they taken by the end of the day?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why am I not surprised? And I'm not talking about the topic.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Some have views regarding politics, their favorite teams, their staffs, etc. These, regarding media, are mine. They are considered, and you know they can be backed up.

You disagree? Step into the octagon. Let's discuss.

I'll go first.

This study was commissioned by the Newspaper National Network. Its logos are all over the thing.

http://www.nnnlp.com/about

I guess a comparable situation would be a Fox News poll that - wow, would you look at THAT! - finds that most viewers dislike President Obama.

As for the study itself: The overall numbers for broadcast still beat print, albeit by a small margin.

I would be interested to see how they found their interviewees; where was this survey, and what was the overall breakdown in respondents as far as location? And I need to see an age-related breakdown. Did the response rate skew one way or another by age group?

Deliberately leaving those out is rather telling.

6. First of all, the print edition is not the "go-to" source of sports news as the title of the slide states. It is a source, as respondents did not have a limit on how many selections or the question. In addition, how were the respondents chosen? That's not listed.

And my point still stands about people reading the paper. Outside of people you know in the industry, how many people read print several times per week?

7. Moderator1

Look guys, we all KNOW readership is WAY down, still falling and may not stop. Those of us left in the business get that clear as day.

My point above? You two more than most seem to take great joy in pointing out. Often.

We get it. We know it. If I had a magic wand to stop it, I would. I don't.

If I'm misreading your intent, I sincerely apologize. But I don't think I am. .

I'm almost 57. This is all I know. I'll brag a little, I think I know it and do it pretty well. I'm also scared shitless. Unless my powerball ticket hits, I don't know what the hell I'm going to do next.

So the constant reminders that the business has turned to shit are salt in the wounds many of us don't really need.

8. Moddy, I can understand the feeling. My dad went through the same thing when his industry started cutting people 10-15 years ago, was laid off, and switched to an unrelated career after his first few options failed. I switched gears because I didn't see a path to get to a point where I could even get a sniff at a paper that paid decently, much less than get to the level you reached. It wasn't like I was forced out. I had several options to stay in, but what type of future would I have 20-30 years out? Unfortunately, hard work isn't paying off for a lot of people in print, or even online, for that matter.

Industry propaganda like the survey does not help.

9. Moderator1

No argument there.

I think I've told this story - guy I worked for in high school and part of college tried to get me to consider restaurant management. I enjoyed the business but thought, hell, I've put a lot of time into this degree. Need to put it to use.

He later went on with two others and formed the company that is now the parent company of Outback.

I often wonder **** eh, does no good.

Eight more years (like I could retire at 65 anyway) seems like too much to ask out of the business these days. In many ways, I admire those of you who recognized and got out when you could.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

#POY2013

Right from the gut.
    Hang tough, Sgt. Hulka. :)

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I agree with Radd, though. I miss newspapers. But I don't recognize them anymore. And I'm on the outside wondering what I'm going to do next. It's not a happy place.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I swear the magic wand is a tablet. It has re-energized my newspaper reading like nothing else.

That's the future. Newspaper delivered to me by 4 a.m. Easy to read. The most important news, not the latest breaking, is played up, which I prefer. It's cheap enough that it's worth paying for instead of avoiding. It's portable as hell.

That's the magic wand.

Draft saved Draft deleted