1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's time to move on

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Best wishes, TD.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Bastard, I just applied for a photog job. Be free, grasshopper.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I had a high school kid as an intern during the summer. The first story he turned in required a LOT of editing from me (two or three major edits) and my reporter. I sent him a nine point e-mail with detailed feedback and suggestions to make his work better. I was so detailed I worried that I'd scare him off.

However, he made a quantum leap with his second story. I only had to make one moderate edit. My reporter only made minor corrections to that piece. He also wrote an opinion piece for us about Harry Potter that my staff STILL talks about as being good. By the time the kid wrote his third story for me, I only had to do minor clean up to his work.

He also helped out with copy editing. Unlike most high school kids who might find a misplaced comma or an incorrect spelling, he was moving grafs to places where they'd make more sense. If that kid were to become part of the future of journalism, I think he'd be a credit to the profession.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This was how I felt when I left my last shop:

Lovin' you isn't the right thing to do
    How can I ever change things that I feel
    If I could, maybe I'd give you my world
    How can I when you won't take it from me?

You can go your own way
    Go your own way
    You can call it another lonely day
    You can go your own way
    Go your own way

Tell me why everything turned around
    Packin' up, shackin' up is all you wanna do
    If I could, baby I'd give you my world
    Open up, everything's waiting for you

You can go your own way
    Go your own way
    You can go your own way
    Go your own way

You can go your own way
    Go your own way
    Another lonely day
    You can go your own way
    Go your own way

You can go your own way
    You can go your own way...

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I know someone like that.

She's a senior in a local high school here, and she's big into writing. She's thinking of going to WKU to major in journalism, but isn't sure just yet. I've read some of her stuff she's written, and she's pretty good.

The only thing is, the adviser of her high school's paper only cares about articles on the football team, thus placing a higher importance on those articles. He's done other stuff, but I'm not gonna get into that right now.

Her and a few of her classmates are hopefully going to the school's principal to talk about a change. I mentioned I'd be interested in being the adviser if the school would allow it.

Anything has to be better than the coach who's currently running things.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Definitely for a different thread that would be sure to explode and get locked, but everything for me is good right up until that point. Hard to argue the rest, but that last line is not for everybody.

But this is a nice thread, let's keep it that way. I just had to say it.

7. Ramble on, TD.

You're an OK guy, for a Cowboys fan. Good luck in your new job, whatever it may be.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tommy, don't have any regrets.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, dude. Just have fun with whatever you do. That's the most important thing ... right in front of living under a roof.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Oh thank the heavens that a friend has returned from the land of the lost! I hope you still have my number even though yours has changed. Give me a call sometime soon! And thanks for the kind words.

11. audreyld

audreyld Guest

TD,

Best of luck, man. I think you'll be much happier.

Let us know how it goes.

ut

12. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Do you not want to at least try news side instead of sports, or is it the biz in general that irks you?

Draft saved Draft deleted