1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's time for the NFL to grow some balls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think there's some NFL observers 'round here who need to grow some balls.

As far as the notion of more yards for the penalty, as stated in the original post, that's sub-moronic. THEY WERE INSIDE THE 10, how many more yards could they give?

2. I so want to say something politically incorrect to you.

The guy is right, the league needs to put an end to it, but they won't. Not if the prospect of death will bring ratings.

Why don't you pick up your facts first, the guy wasn't ejected.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I would assume that by pointing out it was a 4-yard penalty (which for penalties under normal situations is impossible since they are all 5, 10 or 15 yards), that people here would get that that it was a half-the-distance to the goal penalty. I don't claim everyone here is a football expert, but I would guess that everyone could figure out that a 4-yard penalty is half the distance, and you can't "add" yards. I never even implied that.

Now, I have seen the video and several pictures of the play. Suspension, eh, probably not. That would be too harsh. Fine? A small amount, yes. Again, the whole point of my original post (once you looked through the fanboy crap) was to say the NFL needs to crack down on those kind of penalties like they have with shots to the head. A nasty facemask pull like that is a variation of a shot to the head I would think.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To me, it was an inadvertent grasp of the facemask, he didn't get his hand loose quickly enough (hence the personal foul) with unfortunate consequences.

It was a high-speed play, and as he grabbed, unfortunately, that's what he grabbed.

Shouldn't be a fine, shouldn't be a suspension. Part of the game.

And I'm a fan of neither team.

5. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I guess you think the penalty was unfair too. The player from Arizona definitely deserves a fine. It is clear he didn't exactly try to injure Johnson but he did take him down by doing it. That in itself is deserving of a maximum penalty and a small fine to let the player know that this penalty is unacceptable.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Geez. I can't believe all of you. Come watch a REAL sport this month. Yankees are gone, the water's fine. ::)

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Interesting bit from Joe Poz's column today:

Something tells me the Cardinals weren't mad that they were assessed a 4-yard penalty.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Uh he did get the maximum penalty -- which in this case was four yards.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, it would be nice if, in the year 2006, a helmet could be manufactured without a face mask that's little improvement on what players wore in 1960.

There simply should be no part of the helmet where a finger or hand could --- acidentally --- gain enough leverage to twist someone's neck.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The weird thing for me was seeing the stupid fucking line judge stand 10 feet away from the play, and he wasn't even the one who threw the flag.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2623964

Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle has been fined $12,500 by the league for a face mask infraction during his tackle of Larry Johnson in the fourth quarter of last Sunday's 23-20 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

The fine, first reported by Fox Sports, was confirmed on Friday by NFL officials.

It marks the second time this season that Rolle, the Cardinals' first-round choice in the 2005 draft, has been sanctioned for a hit deemed excessive by league officials.

Draft saved Draft deleted