1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's time for the NFL to grow some balls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Oct 8, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

*sigh*

I have never said the guy should be "taking out in front of the firing squad." And yes, I think it was premeditated. That was the only way he was going to stop Johnson from scoring. From that aspect, you could say it was a smart play. But not as the expense at injuring somebody. Just that the NFL needs to take steps to stop hard penalties like that.

I don't think his intent was to permenantly injure Larry Johnson, but when you grab the facemask like that at that speed, that could be the end result.

I'm not sure the Italian guy that hit Brian McBride at the World Cup was trying to bust his face open. But he did. Just because the intent isn't there doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll take it up with management.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Kingcreole I was totally for your side of the argument until I actually saw the play. I do think it is worthy of a fine but I don't think a suspension is necessary. I was even more in your corner when, sportschick was cutting you down but really I can't support your rant on this. I tried, I really wanted to but this time I just can't commit to it. However if that play ever happened to one of my players (see Troy Smith, T Ginn Jr. or Antiono Pittman) I definitely could see how you felt that way.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Later, in the same thread...
    [quote author=kingcreole]I don't think his intent was to permenantly injure Larry Johnson, but when you grab the facemask like that at that speed, that could be the end result.[/quote]

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It would be kind of interesting if the NFL adopted an NHL type of penalty system when it comes to personal fouls. Missing 4 downs for roughing the QB, missing 6 downs for late hits...

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

[/quote]

Busted :-[ Normally, I'd tell you to fetch me a beer, but I owe you one. [/passes beer]

Line No. 1 was in a fit of anger, and No. 2 was when I cooled off a bit.

I doubt the guy was trying to hurt Johnson, but I still think a suspension and/or fine would be in order. Again, that's the kind of play the NFL needs to crack down on.

Haven't been near a TV for a few hours, but I will do my best to try to see the play again, and I'll see if my opinion changes now that I've cooled off significantly.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Thanks. At least someone can admit that.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

When Danny Wuerffel had his helmet turned 180 degrees around on his head, everybody just laughed after he got up. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Plays happen so fast in the NFL that it's sometimes hard to get it all down so quickly. When someone kicks or punches someone else, it's easy to determine intent -- they wanted to hurt someone, and you eject them. But given that this was a football play, it's not easy for an official to make that determination in a split-second. You might have a hunch, you might even be right, but it would be a leap of faith at best so you can't eject him.

In that case, you throw the flag and let the suits in New York determine a possible suspension. It's the best you can do.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

What he said. It looked pretty gruesome, but Johnson seems to be ok (hopefully). It should be a fine, not a suspension. Rolle was just trying to stop Johnson anyway he could.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not to say that the king's original post implying that Johnson was almost seriosuly hurt was a bit of an exaggeration, but this is from the AP story:

Johnson's big play had an ugly ending when Arizona's Antrel Rolle grabbed the star running back's facemask and twisted his head as he fell out of bounds. Johnson lay motionless for a moment before getting up and leaving on his own.

"All I remember is trying to get back on my feet and try to move around and see if everything was working," Johnson said. "I wanted to be safe about it and see if there was really something wrong or not."

The personal foul penalty moved the ball to the Cardinals 4, but the Chiefs (2-2) couldn't punch it in and settled for the go-ahead field goal.

Johnson planned to have an MRI on Monday.

As for the Cheifs being at a huge disadvantage for the remainder of the game, well, there was a minute and half left at the time. Not exactly a big disadvantage.

So can we please get over the fanboy bullshit that has been permeating this place lately.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Tie game, four yards away from the end zone, Larry Johnson>Dee Brown.

There's a big difference between a touchdown and field goal at that point, as KC nearly found out.

Fanboy (which I am) or not, I'd say that's a fairly significant disadvantage.

Draft saved Draft deleted