1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's time for the NFL to grow some balls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Oct 8, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

In case you missed it, Kansas City nearly lost Larry Johnson for, well, forever today. Late in the fourth quarter and game tied 20-20, Johnson took a screen pass and ran about 85 yards for a first down. At the Arizona 8, No. 21 for Arizona grabbed Johnson's facemask - from behind, and twisted it all around Johnson's head.

Of course a penalty was called but no ejection. Johnson lay motionless on the ground for a few minutes before walking off the field. Like Trent Green, Larry Johnson is lucky. While Green was lucky not to get paralyzed, Johnson was lucky not to have his neck break and die.

Now, the Green hit and Johnson play are apples to oranges and I'm dropping what happened to Green right now. But even though it looks like Larry Johnson is going to be OK, the NFL needs to cut back on vicious, nasty, cheap shots like the one Johnson took today. By simply assessing a 4-yard penalty on the play, the NFL is saying what happened on that play was no worse than a defensive holding penalty. The Cardinal player was not trying to do anything but injure Larry Johnson. Why else do you grab the facemask in that situation and spin his head around like he's the little girl in The Exorcist? Attempt to injure should result in automatic suspension.

Now, I'm sure the fuckwads on ESPN will say what a smart play it was because it prevented a touchdown. yes, but in the process, the Arizona player - and Arizona in general - gained a massive advantage. Now one of the NFL's premier backs is on the sideline for the rest of a 20-20 game. Now KC had to go to a backup who had played very little if at all. He nearly fumbled on third down.

That Arizona player should be suspended for a game, but that won't happen because the NFL has no balls. I guess next week, Jared Allen should go after Willie Parker, twist his facemask all the way around to try to injure him/get him out of the game. Hey, if all you get is a 15-yard penalty, why not?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

God, you whine a lot.

There's a rulebook that dictates what the penalties on the field are. The officials can't go against it. They did what they're allowed to do, ejected the offender and gave the Chiefs some yards.

I'm guessing the Arizona player is fined and probably suspended, but you'll whine about that too because that's what fanboys do.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wrong, he wasn't ejected, or at least the referee didn't announce it.

And I'm guessing you're wrong about the fine and suspension.

And if my "whining" is bothering you, don't read my posts. And I'm glad you think I'll bitch and moan if the player does get a one-game suspension and small fine. I'm glad you know me that well, because frankly, I don't give a shit what kind of fine/suspension happens. Just as long as one happens. But I'm not holding my breath.

All I'm saying is it's time for the NFL to crack down on stuff like that. I'd hate to see on of the league's Golden Boys suffer a career-ending injury before something is done.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'd assign more weight to this take if your sig didn't make clear that you're a fanboy of the team whose misfortune should bring punishment to those who caused it.

It was a hard tackle, likely without malicious intent. Welcome to professional football.

And F$&# the Chiefs.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I must admit, I haven't seen many replays except for the ones immediately after, so as far as being "blocked" into him, I can't say for sure. But a NFL player knows you can't grab and pull the facemask. I think the Arizona player knew full well that taking Larry Johnson down that way was the only way he could take him down. And when you do it like that, you don't care if you hurt him or not.

Sorry about the Jets penalties. You see stuff like that on roughing/running into the kicker too. Maybe that's stuff that can start being reviewed, too.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

A "hard tackle"? No a hard tackle is when a safety drops his shoulder into a wide receiver's chest. A hard tackle is not grabbing a facemask with such force you spin a player's head around. There's a reason they have penalties for grabbing the facemask and not for "hard" tackles.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I just saw the play.

Definitely a fanboy rant.

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I just find it funny that the guy who has a soccer player with blood streaming down his face in his avatar is the one crying foul over rough play in a football game.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Good clean play then? Honestly, what did you think? You thought the play was OK?

All I'm saying it shit like that needs to be cracked down on. They started cracking down on helmet-to-helmet hits right? They started cracking down on late hits to the QB, right? So why can't they start dishing out fines/suspensions for plays like that? Seriously, did Larry Johnson have to break his neck for there to be any kind of uproar?

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It was a foul genius. A 15-yard (or in this case half the distance to the goal) penalty.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

It's a penalty. And they called one. But it happened too fast for there to be any premeditation. It's football. Stuff happens. You act as if the guy should get taken out in front of a firing squad.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

If you're looking for a bunch of agreement, get on a Chiefs fanboard. I'm sure there is plenty of fellow frothers.

Draft saved Draft deleted