1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the speculators!!! (yup, oil again)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 3, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No mockery here, my friend, honest.

Just the morning comedy of a poor, shortsighted man with no understanding of money, numbers or finance; a 15-year-old Toyota pickup truck; and a $200 trip to the in-laws bearing down on him.

I do like them bulk hot dogs, though.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good luck, ragu--hope you make a killing.

I just couldn't pull the trigger on something like this now--I'd be too concerned I missed the party and I'd be jumping in right at the crest, and then do nothing but take the painful ride down. I don't doubt the price of oil may continue to rise, but after a run up of what, $70 a barrel in about half a year, it would seem the potential's there for a reversal as well. Especially as people really start to address their driving habits (and there is some evidence of that--average miles driven metric is going down in the US).

Same with going short on the Dow. It's dropped almost 2K in six weeks. The near term opportunity to go short on the Dow may be in the rear view mirror. At some point, it's going to get some of that loss back, and if it's soon and you're shorting it, ouch.

Just one man's take. But, be glad I'm not jumping into USO. Because that would be the spitfire guarantee that the price of oil would start plummeting....

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Just wait 'til we start drilling in ANWR and off the coasts, smart guy. The price of oil will plummet (I'm guessing by Labor Day) and you'll be left holding worthless stocks. Ha ha!

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You wouldn't last two seconds with Cramer.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We'll check back then and see if Old Tony's petroleum enemas are cheaper or more expensive.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I liked that.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Interesting ideas, but I'm sticking with my lotto tickets portfolio. You can' win if you don't play!

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't believe for a second that "all the bad news has already been built into" financial stocks. If you believe that, you don't follow it close enough, IMO.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well... You're right. I don't follow them very closely. I won't touch things that are that cyclical in the best of times, so I virtually ignore then.

I didn't say ALL the bad news is built in. I said a lot is. I'd worry that we have seen the worst of it, and also when you are shorting an asset you are limited by the fact that it can only drop in value to the point of worthlessness and some of these companies are fairly close to that point, so the downside gain is limited. But you are correct. I don't follow those stocks very closely. I've never seen anyone consistently win playing around with equities in the financial sector, so I concentrate my energies elsewhere.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

What if a good chunk of your 401K is in European markets? Better or worse?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you are talking about equities, the same factors hammering the U.S. stock markets are hammering the rest of the world. Of course there are always opportunities in the stock market, but stocks as a whole are getting hit hard. Most of Europe, in particular, is so similar to the U.S. economically, that in this global economy, there is no difference between a U.S. stock and a similar European stock. Whether you own Citicorp or UBS right now, for example, you are getting hammered. Same with British Airways or American Airlines. Or Daimler AG or Ford Motor Company. European equities aren't a way to diversify. They are the same exact thing.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For now ... if if you paid in on a high dollar ... WAY better. Duh!

You'd have to be a really lucky old retiring bastard who passed on the newspaper / automotive portfolio to cash in, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted