1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the Final Countdown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, May 19, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

No, Friends of SJ, I'm not talking about Europe and its fabulous fight song.

As of 12 a.m., I have two weeks (and a few hours) until I tie the knot. Everything is lined up, most of our vendors have been paid and -- most importantly -- I've somehow managed not to blow it (as Moddy put it more than 18 months ago when I told him I had proposed: "You are playing way out of your league. Sign a long-term contract before she wises up").

Well, seeing as she long ago accepted SJ -- in your defense, you guys were here first -- as well as what can be a pain-in-the-ass work schedule, I'm pretty sure she's stuck with me.

The "Oh shit, this is real" moments have been happening for us little by little, but it really started getting real during the past several weeks. We've received our marriage license and gifts are starting to arrive in the mail. My apartment is littered with boxes, wedding programs, tin buckets (don't ask), wedding mags and silver wrapping paper from Bed, Bath and Beyond gifts, not to mention a 1/2 case of champagne for immediately after the rehearsal.

Next week will be pretty busy covering a baseball tournament, and friends will start filtering in a week from today.

Then it's pretty much go time.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If you aren't already tapped, don't forget to tip – everybody, basically.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

Planning on it. I'm a pretty liberal tipper anyway. Tends to get me in trouble. Thankfully, though, we've been given some help with this thing so I'm not eating ramen just yet.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

The last two weeks are the worst.

I remember the Sunday before we got married...we went to Friendly's for dinner and ice cream because we were completely fried and freaked out. My wife goes "You know, this is the last time we'll get to even think of relaxing until we're on our honeymoon." Boy was she right. It's hard to explain how stressful those final few days are.

Once again, the best part about getting married--aside from exchanging vows with the love of your life in front of your family and friends, awwwwwwwww--is never having to do it again.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Congrats! Enjoy the process...

(I don't hate all weddings. Just the stupid ones.)

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good for you.

About the only other advice I would offer is to make sure your new wife gets something to eat after the ceremony. There's just so much going on, and so many people who will be clamoring for your time, it might be easy to overlook.

Not that, um, I might have done that or anything ...

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

I would say that 90 percent of our wedding is based on shit that we've hated from others we've been to.
    We're taking advantage of the weather and doing it right off the beach. We figure that alone with take care of 90 percent of the complaints right there since it won't be too hot yet.

Aside from that, we're just trying to minimize the pressure we'll be feeling in eight days.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Thank you cards.

Start the thank you cards now. Address the envelopes.

Best wishes.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Listen to the Oasis song Married with Children. Oh, wait, don't :D

Good luck.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

Oh, forgot to add the anecdote from the wedding my fiancee and I were at last year.

Little wedding in a town called Great Falls, S.C. We get into town and stop at THE convenience store. Attendant immediately asks if we're there for the couple's wedding.
    Well, after three horrible (and unplanned, even for the bride and groom) singing numbers, the minister puts his final blessing on the young couple.
    (NAMES CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT)
    "Jack and Jill, we hope you are fruitful in your life together, and Jill, we hope you are fruitful from the womb."
    I immediately thought of the first rule of SJ: Do not drink while reading threads (or attending weddings in back-water towns).
    Good times.

Oh, and good advice on the thank you cards. Will start right away.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sort of along those lines...two summers ago, a pair of friends got hitched and had the reception at a well-respected place. But the A/C was out and it was 187,000 degrees with 100% humidity. The bride ended up passing out from dehydration and had to go home, where she was packed in ice. So we ate without the newlyweds, who came back in time for one dance (she was wearing shorts and a T-shirt) and dessert.

Hopefully, your experience was not quite so traumatic.

Draft saved Draft deleted