1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the economy, stupid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 1, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Do you realize how perfectly shitty the above sounds?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fixed.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Imagine a fleet of nearly limitless delivery trucks, any of which can be replaced on a whim with very little added cost. Would the owner be prudent to never get an oil change and just swap out trucks when the original breaks down? Because plenty of companies do that with their employees every day.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which proves the need for laws on strict limits on what candidates can spend.

Only a few Supreme Court judges, who were appointed by presidents of the other party, feel that money is free speech. (Why this doesn't legalize prostitution is beyond me)

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, it's both.

Without jobs, the economy doesn't grow. Without growth, there's no jobs.

It's finding the balance that's key.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I love the math that can claim there were back-to-back-to-back fund-raisers at the Bachelor Farmer Restaurant. Makes it sound like they hustled the Kiwanians out so the Rotary Club could have its turn.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The blood of the working man?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Will the economy recover if the GOP wins in the fall? Probably. Will it recover if Obama wins? Doubtful.

The GOP powers will not start hiring and spending money, which will recover the economy, until the Dems are out of power. I don't think anyone will argue that.

But, the GOP model will cause the downfall of this country sooner than the Democrat's plan. Every power falls someday. Romans. Greeks. French. China. America. Anyone who reads history books should understand this. We will crumble. The question is just when.

And reading history books should tell you anything, that increasing the gap between those with and those without is the best way to get there.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I for one would argue that. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

And, seriously, you honestly believe that GOP businesspeople are passing up the opportunity to make money right now -- because that's why businesses hire people, to make money -- just so their party can take back the White House?

"Those with" and "those without"? Really?

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The problem is not just what the candidates themselves can spend. It's what SuperPACs and other outside groups (like the Koch Brothers and Freedomworks and, yes, MoveOn.org) can spend on political ads attacking one candidate while remaining independent of the other. And the fact that major corporations can fund these types of ads with near-total anonymity.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"problem"

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's definitely not true. The economy can grow pretty much indefinitely without new jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted