1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the economy, stupid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 1, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess somebody has to benefit from a global economic collapse, and it might as well be you, but don't you feel a little untoward rooting for such catastrophe?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

About .1 percent of the electorate that is not party loyal will decide based on the world economy. About 49.9 percent will decide based on what their day-to-day economy is, The rest will decide based on ads and gaffes.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, yeah, we all assume that every voter is as rational as we are here. :)

In the end, it'll come down to who people would rather have a beer with. I would suspect that the money floodgates opened by Citizens United will only intensify that. There is going to be so much bad information out there that it's going to be hard for even the most informed voter to back-check it, and make sense of it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree here. Let's see what happens over the next five months. But clearly a bad economy is bad for the incumbent.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I peg the odds at 95 percent the Euro sticks around. Germany needs a weak currency to stay competitive, as do other Eurozone states with strong manufacturing bases.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, it's possible people would want to have a beer with Romney, because they'll get two out of it knowing he won't drink his.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

"Who would you rather have a beer with" only works when you can afford to buy beer.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Obama chose Bud Light at the Beer Summit and I will never forgive him for that.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll have a caffeine-free diet coke. Obama will be fine smoking weed. :D

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The last thing I feel is untoward. 1) I didn't create the mess. Nor am I blindly placing bets and rooting. I am making personal financial decisions based on conditions created by things I actively root against. If countries are going to spend recklessly and then crap all over their currencies, though -- things I find repugnant -- I certainly have an idea about how to best preserve my wealth, while the conditions they created sap wealth in general. 2) Along those lines, it is in everyone's best interest to protect their wealth. 3) I am so down on every fiat currency and the games they play with them that I still believe hard assets are the safest place to be. They can devalue the currencies to try to inflate away the debt messes they have created, but that just makes things like gold and silver more valuable.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By "hard assets" other than gold, do you mean ammunition or canned goods?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"And then she wouldn't shut up about hockey moms and pit bulls and finally I'd had enough and I decided to concede the election."

Draft saved Draft deleted