1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's that time of year: College coach carousel!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ben Jacobson is so reserved in that upper Midwestern way, Minnesota is about the only major job I could see as a fit for him.

Texas A&M seemed to be an exceedingly odd fit. Not that Jacobson can't coach, he's a helluva coach, but Texas A&M never seemed to be a good landing place for him in my mind.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/luke_winn/05/19/hoops.chain.reaction/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a1

Very interesting story that sums it all up very nicely.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Ed DeChellis leaves Penn State for Navy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6580565

I get leaving a power conference team when you're struggling to go to a smaller school with a less hot seat, but Navy seems like an incredibly difficult place to win. David Robinson ain't walking through that door again.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This has to be a sign of how much the pressure was ramping up on DeChellis in State College. Other than the fact that Penn State hasn't been a major factor on the men's basketball scene in recent memory, it's not considered a big step forward.

Other than David Robinson and Doug Wojcik becoming a pretty decent coach, has Navy produced anything else of note in the last generation? Winning at Annapolis is tough for obvious reasons. And those top post players coaches covet don't fit in submarines.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's an intriguing move. I wonder how much of this has to do with hockey likely to unseat basketball as the top winter sport in Happy Valley. (Terry Pegula donated a ton of money to make that happen, and that campus will go nuts for D-1 hockey.)

And DeChellis was an alum. His program didn't totally tank like Jerry Dunn's teams did. I read that there was pressure on him, but I think he had more rope there than people believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted