1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's that time of year: College coach carousel!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Mar 7, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This should be the end of the line for Andy Kennedy at Ole Miss, but they're pleading poverty, and apparently signed him to a deal with no buyout – I mean, honestly, are you kidding? Funny thing, if it hadn't been for the taxi incident in Cincy, he probably would have gotten out under his own power by now.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

However, Newell at UALR in 1986, like Keno at Drake when they were the 5-seed, had to knew this was the Peak. ALWAYS consider leaving at the peak... maybe one year after the peak, at the most.

I do agree you can bide your time in the Valley. I wonder about Ben Jacobsen at Northern Iowa. If he gets interest in this off-season, this would be the ideal "jumping off" point if he wanted to make The Jump.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Think Lowry at Southern Illinois is kicking himself for staying after his Sweet 16 teams? PC kicked the tires on him before hiring Keno.
    Yes, Providence may be the toughest job in the Big East. But guys have won there. Pitino and Barnes set themselves up for life after winning at PC.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

As did Gillen. But the league wasn't 16 teams then.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The guy that comes to mind for me in this scenario is Bobby Braswell at Cal State Northridge. Beat UCLA in Pauley in 2001 (though this was at a time that a lot of tomato cans were walking into Wooden's house and punking the Bruins) ... went to the tournament, lost to Kansas. Was a hot commodity. Had a couple of job looks and chose to stay at Northridge. Hasn't been heard from since.

At least at a place like Gonzaga, you knew they were building the program, putting money into facilities, etc. Northridge plays in a high school gym and is about the 15th school you think of when you think of L.A. basketball. You've got to get out when the gettin's good if you're Braswell. But maybe he didn't care about moving up the ladder, cared more about stability, etc. Something to be said for that, I suppose.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyone taken a look at Phil Martelli and St. Joe's lately?

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Bad month for former BYU assistant coaches with a former BYU head coach (Cleveland) probably worried as well.

Heck, there's a rumor that current BYU coach Dave Rose may be looking for a new job, too. But only because he could get a ginormous raise elsewhere and the Cougars are going to stink next year with no Jimmer, no Emery and quite possibly no Davies

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do people really think Tubby Smith is in trouble?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought of Braswell too. Was talked about for the Oregon job. Stayed at Northridge, never to be heard from again, except when his son was arrested as part of some Best Buy theft, with some other players.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And how long ago was that?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Exactly.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think if you are a mid-major coach you take the bigger gig. even if you fall on your face, you are likely to get another gig at a mid-major.

Of course - if you've got a nice long contract, know that players who have brought you success at the mid-major won't cut it in a major conference, have your recruiting network wired and are the BMOC - I can understand staying put if you'll end up on the other side of the country at a football school.

Draft saved Draft deleted