1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Still A Poll Tax, Part Trois.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Let me ask one obvious question here: What forms of ID are these people going to be presenting to obtain this voter ID card?

If they've got no ID without the card, what are they providing to obtain it?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Tony,

It's a 180 in that Motor Voter supporters (most of whom were Democrats) said registering to vote while getting a driver's license -- which is a form of state ID -- made it easier for people to vote.

Now, people are saying making voters get an ID hinders the voting process.

That's where the 180 comes into play.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Compared to other less-meaningful pursuits, voting is incredibly easy.

It's much more difficult to go through all the inconviences we go through to attend a silly college football game than it is to vote.

Yet stadiums are at about 100% capacity.

And fewer than 50% of voters vote.

Laziness is laziness.

People don't CARE enough to vote. And if someone doesn't care, it doesn't matter how easy we make it for them.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Let face it this whole idea of really voting is a bunch of crap because both sides cheat and get away with. I really doubt we have ever elected anyone we really should have for president. I do believe this so call "poll tax" is just another way for both side to play games and manipulate the voting system. I am for it but against it so, voting sucks.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I would think that even poor people have birth certificates, social security cards, etc. with which to get a photo ID card. I just checked the requirements to get a drivers license/photo ID in Wisconsin -- you need either a passport or copy of birth certificate and some other form of ID which either has a picture or requires a signature (military ID, school ID, credit card, citizenship certificate and some court records).

6. PopeDirkBenedict

Can I have that translated into English?

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Sooooo, why aren't those things good enough to allow you to vote?

8. PopeDirkBenedict

Well, a passport, military ID and school ID are all forms of official photo ID, so they would be good enough. The others don't, which only makes it easier to perpetrate voter fraud.

9. I was going to refute this idea of yours but I couldn't be bothered - gonna take a nap instead

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They are. But dems don't want people to have to show anything at all to vote. Because they want to have their operatives cast numerous votes under numerous names. And that's what it's all about.

11. Yes, that's why John Lewis got the crap beaten out of him on that bridge.
    We need a much better class of trollery hereabouts.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I take it you're part of the "reparations" crowd, too? So because some were denied the right more than 40 years ago their ancestors should be able to vote 4 and 5 times per election now, right?

You know this has nothing to do with denying anyone the right to vote once. And that's all they're entitled to. But you also know that as liberals keep aborting their babies, there are going to be more and more conservatives.

So you want your guys to be able to vote more than once. Voter ID today has nothing at all to do with John Lewis in 1965. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. Only the honest will admit it.

Draft saved Draft deleted