1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Still A Poll Tax, Part Trois.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 20, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

F_H --
    Voting more than once is already against the law.

So is stealing someone's mail.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So is underaged drinking. That's why ID's get checked outside of a bar or when the guy at the liquor store is ringing up your order.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Right.

But drinking liquor isn't the founding principle of democracy, right?

What I was trying to get at is that passing this law won't make it much harder to cheat at elections while almost certainly disenfranchising some voters.

If you were already willing to break the law to committ voter fraud (at least two, in fact), what's going to stop you from using a fake ID? (And I'd like to point out, again, that it would make little sense to committ voter fraud in public at polling places when it's easier to do so through absentee ballots).

4. Flying Headbutt

Well you saw where that amendment about prohibition went back in the roaring '20s, right?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, if we keep the current leadership, it might just get a second chance.

6. Flying Headbutt

My mini bar is almost fully stocked. I may be able to last a week.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That should be enough time to organize the jihad, at any rate.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm with you guys on a Prohibition jihad, if that cause still needs supporting. Fuck the 18th amendment, dammit.

9. Chris --
    You do not have a constitutional right to work or to the "pursuit of ahppiness," The latter has to do with the Decalartion of Independence, which is a revolutionary state of principles, and not a governing document. Please do keep up.
    Read the decisions (s).The law is unconstitutional because (here the court is whispering) the law is plainly written to suppress voter turnout in certain (shh!) areas, largely for political purposes. And if the real problem is absentee ballots, as the story says, well, every study of voter behavior of which I'm aware notes that they skew Republican.
    And is there really something wrong in your mind to listening to "Blonde On Blonde." You really shouldn't judge The Sixties (!) because you watched the LSD episode of Dragnet a couple of times.

10. Fenian - you are normally a very good speller so I think your misspelling of "happiness" as "ahppiness" was a Freudian slip of you getting close to spelling "ahippiness" which is some sort of made up hippy word that means everything good is from the 60's.

And no - there is nothing wrong with listening to Blonde on Blonde but you should get rid of the LP and pick up the CD.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a survey of 2004 voters done to find out how many of them had a legal government-issued photo ID (state drivers' license, ID card, etc.) I'd guess it's well north of 95 percent. I'd also guess that within the small percentage that didn't have one the majority of them committed some sort of vote fraud.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, as they used to say in Chicago, "Vote early and vote often"

Draft saved Draft deleted