1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Still A Poll Tax, Part Trois.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Is it time to start trotting out the figures about how the poverty level dropped as a result of Great Society programs, in the cities and beyond? Is it time to point out that AFDC was a Nixon initiative, as were most of the affirmative action programs? Is it time to point out the difference between 1960 and now for most African Americans?
    God, what a new tool we have in the shed with this guy.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Thanks, Pope. That shows that Bush has not had more blacks in the cabinet than Clinton.

Old Tony said, and I quote: "If you want to talk about race and representation, tell me why Bush's administration has had more blacks in higher positions (two black secretary of states!) than even your beloved Clinton did?"

So tony, were you factually wrong, or is four more than seven? See, this is the difference. Pope isn't a liberal, but he brings something to the table and you respect that. You, old tony, just bring ridiculous diatrabes to the table.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This one had kind of gotten away from me, but I can't resist.

Gold, did you even read the stories linked? The stories back up exactly what i said, and you act as if they counter what I said. The numbers are similar until you get to the part where Bush appointed two different blacks to THE MOST IMPORTANT AND PRESTIGIOUS position, secretary of state. And I love how the story ends with two quotes from notable liberals lauding Bush's appointments.

"It shows respect" to name Latinos to such powerful positions, says New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, the nation's senior elected Hispanic official and a former member of Clinton's Cabinet.

"The president has done more than diversify his Cabinet," (Donna) Brazile says. "President Bush has opened new doors for minorities and women to consider the benefits of joining the ranks of the Republican Party."

Looks like your slip is showing, Gold.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

No, I didn't read the damn stories you linked. I knew the numbers and your statement was wrong. Pope posted the facts, although facts seem to confuse you.

I've forgotten more about politics than you will ever learn, tony.

5. old_tony

Wow, a tacit admission that you didn't even read the links (and Pope posted them, not me). I guess that's why you can go on to say the things you say. Have a blissful night, Sir Ignorance.

6. AIEEEEEEE!
    THE STUPID, IT BURNS!

7. old_tony

Well, stop being so stupid and it won't burn so much
    Just sayin' ...

8. ...and then they all went in from recess and had a nice nap.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Tony:

You said Bush appointed more blacks than Clinton. The post showed that Clinton appointed seven and Bush appointed four. That is a fact. I didn't have to read a thing, because I knew the fact. You didn't know the fact. You were blowing smoke, and people on this board can see that.

You said the Secretary of State position is the most important position in the Cabinet. That is an opinion. Your opinion, but then, you can't get facts right. Do you understand the difference between a fact and an opinion?

In the Nixon Administration, the Secretary of State was William Rogers and he was pretty much ignored in favor Kissinger. The Bush Administration pretty much ignored what Colin Powell was saying. I believe the State Department has the fewest number of employees of any cabinet department. Since the US is in a war, it can be argued that right now, the Defense Department is the most important cabinet post. Rumsfield clearly has more influence than Rice. Like Kissinger, Rice is pretty much of a toady for powerful people. Reagan and Bush 41 could show agreements with Russia to reduce nuclear warheads as their legacy; Carter could show the agreement with Egypt and Israel; Clinton came close to an agreement with Israel and Palestine, an agreement Yasir Arafat was an idiot not to accept - The one thing I can say for the current president is that Arafat was a worse world leader.

If you are a right-wing Republican who has household help, order them to clean the toilet or wash the windows. Just don't pull the punk stuff on me.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

Great post.

11. Blow your condescention out your ass, F_B.

12. old_tony

No, Gold, what i said was this: "more blacks in higher positions (two black secretary of states!)." I just copied it from my post of Sept. 25. Anyone with an ounce of brain knows the most prestigious and most important position is Secretary of State. And it's a 2-0 lead in favor of Bush.

Now you try to cloud the issue by going back to the 70s, and I understand that's what you have to do when you're wrong (or lying).

Now you can admit you're wrong or you can do what I fully expect you to do: Lie or try to dodge and cloud the issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted