1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's snowing in the South...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Feb 1, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Why can't I have snow, dammit? I moved to the Northwest for snow, not freaking 40+ temps and sun! :D

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, what do you know? SC causing heat waves everywhere she goes ... ;D

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It snowed in the Triangle area of North Carolina today, but it wasn't cold enough to stick on the ground. Still it was great. So many locals freaked out and stayed home there was no traffic, no line at the grocery store, in the McDonald's drive-thru. It was like having the whole town to myself.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

After looking at a loop of the radar, it appears the snow literally made a loop around the area in which I live. I'm not complaining at all. There was some sort of precipitation, though. The cliffs have frozen ice all over them. I'm guessing rain that froze before it could drip to the ground.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I don't know if that was the case here in South Carolina.. the first 15 minutes of the 6 p.m. newscast were solely about the snow (all 3 inches of it). No ice. By now it's mostly slush and wetness on the roads.
    But we heard all about it. Here, we were about 2 steps from the weather people explaining to us how snow forms, a la 6th grade science. Welcome to Podunk.

7. Sam Mills 51

Keep in mind, BigRed, that you're talking about people who think the University of South Carolina and Clemson are professional sports organizations. At least that's how the fans regard them ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

DAMMIT! Doesn't local news know it's supposed to be in charge of overkill!?!

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Oh, trust me, I know that. I guess it's a case of TV news pandering to the intelligence level of most of its viewers....
    which doesn't say a lot for the local populace. But it is what it is.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would that mean they think of Big Red as a professional writer? :D

11. Sam Mills 51

Yup BigRed ... sad but true.

You'd think no one in South Carolina had the first clue what snow was. Granted, it's not like lake effect blizzards or what almost buried Colorado near Christmas time, but I'd think somewhere along the road people would know about snow. Maybe I assume too much. Again.

And Slappy ... I don't know BigRed from the man on the moon, but I bet he'd avoid describing alums who returned to their former stomping grounds in their school clothing. :D

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Hey, Slap, that's a step up in my book. :)
    And Sam, I thought Birmingham people were wacky about snow, but this place takes the cake.
    Apparently, 3 inches of snow is a "winter storm," if you believe the TV folk here.
    But as I said, they're here to serve the people that watch them.... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted