1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's snowing in the South...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Feb 1, 2007.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

A couple of inches here in South Carolina - it's great.
    This native Iowan doesn't get to see the white stuff too much down here. My only snow experience last winter was getting stuck in an 18-inch blizzard in Boston, which was about 17.5 inches more than I'd expereinced the last 5 years of living in the South.
    My dog, a 5-year-old cocker spaniel, doesn't know what to think. He went about two feet from my door to do his business, then darted right back inside, all confused. It's his first snowfall.... so funny.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Actually, like the idiot I am, I drove around last night for the hell of it. Looked at some yards full o' snow. And I had no problems. Others on the road, especially some douchebag in a pickup truck, kept spinning out on his back wheels.

As for the eggs/milk/bread in grocery stores, there were several segments on the news last night with people at the stores for those products. I'll let y'all know in a little while after I've gone to the store for some stuff (not eggs/milk/bread).

3. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

When I got back inside at around 3 or 3:30 a.m. from playing - yes, I was that desperate for fun and had just gotten off work - the local channels were on the air. Going nuts. Had reporters outside describing conditions, telling people not to go out because it was dangerous, etc.

On a side note, they go crazy here over weather anyways. I'm from the Gulf Coast and am used to hurricanes. But now that I'm 350 miles inland, straight north of the coast, I find it hysterical that when any hurricane approaches, they go wall-to-wall coverage. Seriously? Just issue your damn small craft advisory and put your shows back on.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We were supposed to get slammed in northeast Tenn. today. It appears it is going to miss us. I will not complain about that.

5. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Snow is cool when it's in mountains that are close enough for you to play in it, but you don't have to live in it.

But when it's in a valley (and you get 3/4 of your yearly average snowfall in about a week and a half like we did this winter) it gets old pretty quickly.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm convinced TV stations in the South go nuts with weather coverage to build up their resume reels and because it gives them an excuse to do "Storm Team Coverage" like they see Danger Jim Cantore doing on TWC.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I agree in some ways with the hurricane coverage in 'Bama, but I think part of it is that a lot of people have vacation homes in Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Destin, etc, and they're concerned about them.
    Also, Birmingham got hit pretty good by Ivan for an inland city - 75 MPH winds and torrential rains/flooding.
    I'll never forget the Darwin Awards winner who took his kid rafting through a flooded-out city park that had raging torrents of water going through it. The cops arrested him when he went back for the other kid he'd left on the bank.
    Oh, and just as an aside, my cocker spaniel is now growling at the snow outside. He has no idea what it is.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We've just had snow flurries off and on for the last fucking week. I wish we could get a good snow, 5 or 6 inches maybe, and be done with it.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ground is partly covered for the second time in the last week, but no full dusting yet. I expect we'll get a half-inch, maybe a full inch, before it turns to sleet, freezing rain and general shit.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Your local weatherman should adapt that for the 6:00 forecasts.

"And the outlook for Friday in Podunkville is snow, sleet, and general shit".

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I would agree with that if not for one thing: The coverage never once talks about anything like that. It's all local coverage. Like road closings, business/school closings, blah blah blah. If for once they'd talk about the location of landfall, then I'd be fine. But they never do.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fuerte, how do the local newspaper and the radio stations handle the weather?

Draft saved Draft deleted