1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Six Flags, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jun 13, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Formerly with the WWL prior to joining Snyder as Six Flags' boss.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Two questions:

1. Is that the same Mark Shapiro who was at ESPN?

2. Was this really worthy of its own thread?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dan Snyder and Mark Shapiro - what a great match. Never much cared for Shapiro turing ESPN into the Game Show Network.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'll take these!!! I'll go one at a time, so i'm clear:
    1: yes
    2: no

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

On a remotely related note, what irks me is when words that begin with lower-case letters are kept lower-case when the word begins a sentence. Some editoris feel it's a sin and refuse to do it, but I don't see the big deal.

What's the style on that?

"EBay has lost its luster" or "iPhone are overrated?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mark Shapiro was great in The Client. :D

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Six Flags . . . even shorter than Dan Snyder . . .

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As far as I'm (and we're) concerned, they're dead wrong on the style on U.S and all the states. And I don't understand why they do it; if there's some arcane reason, I'm all ears. Anything like that the differentiates between copy in headlines and copy in copy is a land mine. We'll change it every time.

As far as lowercase to start a sentence is concerned, never, as far as I'm concerned.

And here, it's Adidas as well. :)

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, the numerals in headlines is relatively new. I want to say within the past 18 months. For more room on Internet headlines, is how I remember hearing the justification.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

MileHigh, I'm almost positive that the U.S. to US thing is pretty new, too.

Somebody would have to explain to me the "more room" thing, because I generally have more room to write headlines -- meaning more care needs to be taken, too -- on the Internet than I ever had in print.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Why do you change the proper name of a product or company like iPhone or adidas?

If something said Podunk & Smith, would you switch it to Podunk and Smith because of the ampersand?

I've never understood that. It's the company's name or name of the product.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's an arguable point -- we've certainly had the argument, and it sounds like we'd have it with you :) -- but here, your naming rights don't include lowercasing what is, bottom line, a proper name -- but beyond that, no matter what your thinking on that issue, we're not going to start a sentence with a lowercase letter. That's simply written English language.

Draft saved Draft deleted