1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's six below zero where I'm at ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I was just outside having a Spotted Cow while the dog did stuff and ran around.

If the beer freezes, start the car up and put them on the block to thaw them. Turn the car off before you put the beer on. At least that's what we did in hs.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Low of 34 anticipated down here in a couple days.

Still haven't gotten snow in 33 years, but this is still something else.

3. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

It bottomed out at -35C where my family spent our holidays. Tried to start the car in the morning but the car wouldn't work. Plug it in for a few hours and she purred like a kitten.
    Best wishes for the New Year to all here.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

30s here today. Getting down into the teens overnight. We had a big freeze in mid-December, like we always do, and we've got more cold weather (single digits) coming in by Wednesday. But as usual here, it'll probably be back up into the 30s and 40s by next week.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I left them in the car.

It was an adventure to get my car to crank this morning. I felt sorry for it.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's the best part about living in the Northeast, though. I'll just stick my beer outside when I know I'll be having a few cold ones when friends come over on the weekend. Gotta save frige space, ya know.

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

A frosty 14 here in the Dirty South this a.m. Now there's predictions of 2-3 inches of snow and lows in the single digits later this week.

Snow + ice + Southern drivers = Non-stop hilarity. Especially if you don't have to be out among them.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let the dog out at 10 p.m. and it was 14. He needs to go out now and its 14.
    Got down to 11 here last night, supposed to be colder tonight and may see snow on Thursday night -- the same night as Bama-Texas, so there's a parallel to snowball's chance in hell, somewhere.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The part that's near Singapore.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When I lived in one of the two coldest states in the USA, we ran a road race once when the wind chill was about minus-58 or so (it's called the Frigid Frolic. No lie).

The first 5K was NNW into the wind, and it was brutal. On the way back in, with the wind at your back, people were practically stripping off their clothes they got so warm.

I also ran an 8K on a frozen river.

We ran outdoors twelve months of the year. Layer up, vaseline the face, get a ride and run back in with the wind at your back if it gets too cold, change directions if you're running into the wind (several blocks into the wind, take a right or left for several blocks, then back into the wind for several blocks until your turnaround) and you're fine, once you get going. Cold air freezing up the lungs is an old wive/s tale.

I can remember running one day when it was -32, sunny and calm and thinking, "It's not bad at all." Maybe my brain was freeze-dried. But I loved the sound of scrunchy snow.

All that said, I don't miss a Northern Plains winter one little bit.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Amen to that. Southern drivers are bad enough without the added handicap of slick roads. What's even more fun is that MDOT has no clue how to de-ice highways. None.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

While I never ran in weather close to that cold, I use to really enjoy going out on a sunny 25-35 degree, crisp day with the sun shining and some snow on the ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted