1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's six below zero where I'm at ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 4, 2010.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There will be snowouts, OTR.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There was a guy at the International Bowl dressed in a USF hoodie, baseball hat and shorts. He may have died of exposure trying to get back to his hotel, unless he was as drunk as some of the Bulls' fans were.

I don't mind the cold weather. I have to walk part of the way to work and I dress for it: big coat, gloves (but no hat) and boots if it's snowy.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hey, 40 below keeps the riff-raff out.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

What a bunch of PANSIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, kiddies. A mere 40 below is nothing - NOTHING I tell ya. When it hits 60 below, yeah, that's a bit chilly.

And as far as those of you referring to He Who Shall Not Be Named, I outta ground each and every one of you. Which I might do when I get home from work.

(Which is not to say you shouldn't take cold weather - which is below zero, none of this candya$$ 'oh, it's 20 degrees, it's the Subarctic' crap - seriously. Dress appropriately and carry the proper winter gear in your vehicle. And Bubs, get a pair of gloves!)

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe if you have spent your entire life in such a climate. Otherwise . . . no.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/yakutsk-journey-to-the-coldest-city-on-earth-771503.html

"Lumbering from my hotel room like the Michelin Man, and already breaking into a sweat due to the hotel's industrial heating system, I decide that I'm ready to face everything Yakutsk has to throw at me. I stride purposefully out of the hotel door and... well... it really isn't that bad. The small oblong of my face that is naked to the elements definitely registers the cold air, but on the whole, it feels fine; pleasant, even. As long as you're dressed right, I think, this isn't too bad.

Within a few minutes, however, the icy weather begins to assert itself forcefully. The first place to suffer is the exposed skin on my face, which begins to sting, and then experience shooting pains, before going numb, which is apparently dangerous, because it means blood flow to the skin has stopped. Then the cold penetrates the double layer of gloves and sets to work on chilling my fingers.

The woolly hat and padded hood are no match for minus 43C either, and my ears begin to sting. Next to succumb are the legs. Finally, I find myself with severe pain all across my body and have to return indoors. I look at my watch. I have been outside for 13 minutes."

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sure you still can. If you haven't been around this sort of weather before, you might underestimate how much you need.

At its worst up here, I wore regular underwear, thermal underwear, sweatpants, regular pants, undershirt, t-shirt, thermal undershirt, sweater, jacket, wintercoat, three pairs of socks, three pairs of gloves and a huge, warm hat.

It didn't feel too bad.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Mid-80s and humid here, same as it's been since ... well, always. :)

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

On what part of Venus do you live?

It's only 55 right now in South Florida.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Without wind and without humidity ... bring on the cold.

Unfortunately, down here we have plenty of both. And there's nothing but a barbed-wire fence between us and the North Pole.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The high here on Friday is 4. I don't know whether to cry or go into hibernation.

I'm far too Texan for this type of weather...

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Doesn't everyone choose to live where they do?

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If you cry, it'll freeze to your face. Then you'll have these really funky lookin' streaks on your cheeks. Hey, that rhymes ...

Draft saved Draft deleted