1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Settled Now For All Time: The Simpsons Is Better Than Seinfeld

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm a 20-something. Don't paint with a broad brush. The Simpsons won because of the episodes that aired while Seinfeld was still in production. I don't agree with the pick, but clearly the new episodes aren't the reason.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Consensus among whom?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Cheers won the Emmy for best comedy in 1983, 1984, 1989 and 1991.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not bad for a show that finished 74th out of 77 shows in the ratings for its premiere. Nowadays, it would have been cancelled before the second week.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very true. Seinfeld wouldn't have lasted by today's standards either. People forget how many times Seinfeld was re-worked before it caught on.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The fact that The Simpsons' "decline" has lasted longer than most shows could ever dream of being on the air is amazing. So is the fact that their loose continuity means the writers have to come up with 24 completely fresh ideas per season, and they still bat about .600 on decent episodes.
    Other than the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" two-parter and some character departures (like Maude Flanders), have there ever been what you could seriously call ongoing storylines with The Simpsons?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Simpsons clearly has a higher degree of difficulty than Seinfeld.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not a 'Frazier' fan, but it won a record five Emmys for best comedy, and it was nominated eight times.
    'Cheers' was nominated 11 times and won four times.
    'MASH' was nominated 11 times and won once.
    'All in the Family' was nominated nine times and won four times.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The bolded part is what I believe too. Even now something like "Big Bang Theory" is another Taxi, Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends etc etc -- several people in a central locale out-quipping one another. Sure, there was a storyline or three but that was besides the point.

NewsRadio was highly underrated in that regard. Great writing and delivery. Absolutely Fabulous, too.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My all-time favorite sitcoms are Seinfeld and I Love Lucy.

I love the Simpsons too but really haven't watched the last 8-10 years.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I romanticize about Seinfeld simply because it was a great time in my life (20s-30s) and NBC Thursday nights were TV must watch; Cosby/Friends/Seinfeld/ER. Seinfeld was still phenomenal because it was an original for its time.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Seinfeld' is the best. We've established it here on multiple occasions.

Draft saved Draft deleted