1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Settled Now For All Time: The Simpsons Is Better Than Seinfeld

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It's science. Or something.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/03/seinfeld-vs-simpsons-sitcom-smackdown.html

The Simpsons defeated Cheers in the final.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/03/cheers-vs-the-simpsons-sitcom-smackdown-finals.html

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You agree with this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Consensus is that Cheers sustained high quality even with multiple casting changes.

Haven't read that article yet, but if it says The Simpsons has been as good the last 10-15 years as it was in its 1990s heyday, that would be the first time I saw someone assert that with a straight face.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Cheers and The Wire are neck-and-neck for the best-made shows I've seen. Cheers was exceedingly difficult to execute with so many casting changes, a complete restructuring of the show and 11 seasons.

Seinfeld is the funniest show I've ever seen and my favorite show.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Guy who took that picture didn't live long after taking it.

http://tinyurl.com/bvf3olu

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Hated that whole "It's a show about NOTHING!!!" BS hype. They're ALL nothing by that estimation. Nothing in a bar, nothing in a taxi cab station, nothing in Quahog, nothing during the Korean War.

Seinfeld had a point where it was clearly listening to its own press and deliberately TRYING to create "water cooler talk!" And it had one of the worst final episodes in television history.

But from about 1992-1996, it was a world beater just about every week.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Omitted from this bracket: Scrubs, Frasier, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family, Night Court, Family Guy, Sports Night, NewsRadio, King of the Hill, Futurama, Mad About You, Just Shoot Me, Who's the Boss, Wings, Will & Grace, etc.

I don't like Frasier, but how do you leave it out with Malcolm in the Middle getting a spot? It won a record 37 Emmys. Scrubs lasted twice as long as Community has and brought many of the same creative and meta elements. Curb Your Enthusiasm does a lot of the same type of humor as Louie (and Seinfeld) but has been around three times as long.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great pull, thanks.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm about 20 kinds of depressed now. This thread did not go the way I expected.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Huh. I thought that story was pretty well known.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd heard it before. Doesn't mean I wanted to be thinking about that photo. And I really shouldn't have clicked on the story.

Not your problem, but daaamn.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So the 20-somethings voted for a show they grew up watching and not one that went off the air in 1998 or 1993?

Draft saved Draft deleted