1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Over - Real Refs Returning. Or are they? *UPDATE* It's over.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: It's Over - Real Refs Returning

Sooooo... Is Peter King right or is everbody else right?

2. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

NFL owners will use the savings over the preseason and first three weeks of the regular season to host themselves another Super Bowl party and toast their greatness.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

hey, sorry if i sound callous, but every year a handful of games -- at least -- turn or are decided by the guys in the striped shirts. i get that one game in the nfl counts substantially more in playoff races than 1 game in other sports mean in their seasons; you're darn tootin' the nfl hopes that if thepackers dont make the playoffs they will miss out by more han one game. but, heck, every year includes teams who got in because a break went their way and not for their competitor... with games 4-16 still to come, sorry, man, not many fans will consider this season 'tainted.'

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I hope you're right. I still think GB will get in, I can't see them not winning the North, but who knows. A likelier scenario IMO is Seattle beats someone else for a WC.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Dammit.

Wanted one more week, so they could lose control of Raiders-Broncos.

Language in latest CBA forbids player strike.

https://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA.pdf

And that's why I have a hard time seeing this as a classic labor squabble. This is not a livelihood that's threatened as much as it's their overtime money. Not like when pro athletes face the owners, but certainly not something that is relatable to most people in professions that desperately need unions to protect them.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At last we come to the crux of the issue. The NFL did NOT have the refs over a barrel. Yes, they lost considerable amounts of money. But they weren't left without any income at all, quite the contrary.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Looking at the schedule Green Bay could easily go 11-2 the rest of the way. They should win all of their remaining division games and the non-division schedule isn't too taxing.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Steroids?

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

True but this is just one battleground of many.

The NFL owners did not get to where they are without paying attention to all $$$ spent and where they go. They know if they "win" the pension issue, it will save them a significant $$ down the road. Watch, I predict that if the refs give in, the owners will trumpet how they are increasing the $$ paid into the pensions on a yearly basis going forward, but left unsaid is how they will be relieved of the uncertainty of funding benefits in the future.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Is the headline on this thread wrong or have I missed something?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's wrong.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-nfl-referees-deal-20120926,0,2945769.story

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the league took a page out of the Rahm playbook and tried to declare things settled to put pressure on the other side.

Draft saved Draft deleted