1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Over - Real Refs Returning. Or are they? *UPDATE* It's over.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Re: It's Over - Real Refs Returning

That already was out there in Mort's story, but I found this interesting.

Haven't the owners been letting the league do all the dirty work here?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Hochuli just added 50 pounds to his benchpress.

3. Re: It's Over - Real Refs Returning

well, while we're at it, a headline of "It's Over - Real Refs Returning" is a bit inaccurate too. Looks like they have just jumped a hurdle. Major hurdle, but a hurdle nonetheless.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Mike Freeman reporting a tentative deal is done, per banner on CBS Sports site.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20376425/tentative-deal-between-nfl-regular-referees-is-at-hand-officials-could-work-week-4

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So wait, the referees shouldn't have just caved and punted on the idea of pensions because "that's what's happening in America right now?" Why, it's almost like the people who said that don't have any fricken clue how collective bargaining works. Gee willickers.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Shit! This was one of the funnest NFL early season weekends ever, couldn't wait for the next episode in the Replacement Ref Dramas. It's like having a favorite show cancelled days after you discovered it.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, the owners have been very happy to let goodell play the bad guy in these negotiations and on this issue. make no mistake: when it comes to the league's money matters goodell just does a his bosses tell him to. the big office is left to him on matters such as player discipline, team discipline, draft day hugs and behind-the-scenes business issues, like super bowl sites.

roger's got the ideal thick skin for this gig; you have to to keep 32 multi-millionaire bosses satisfied -- you just try keeping most of the egomaniacal babies satisfied by making them each feel equally important. and the owners fully understand what a handful they are, which is why roger is compensated so insanely for his juggling skills.

i get many laughs from radio-talk shows, tv-talk shows and sites like tis one when roger is being bashed by all sides, never, EVER losing his cool. believe me, i know better than ANYONE here what kind of person roger goodell is. those who seek to slap him around and 'blast' the stances he takes just make me laugh... but y'all also make me angry 'cause you don't know spit about all his job entails and/or when he's being served up as the whipping boy to a public that always demands there is one.

thank gawd this is coming to a close so y'all can go back to attacking goodell for being too hard on those poor saints... the good ol' days....

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm sure the owners came to the table for totally altruistic reasons, had nothing to do with their teams getting screwed over.

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Too little too late for Green Bay and potentially others. The entire season has already been irreparably compromised. If Green Bay either misses the playoffs by a game or falls short of a higher seed by a game, or if Seattle makes it or finishes higher by a game, this abhorrent call (well three calls) directly changed countless possible outcomes. Not to mention other teams that could potentially get in or not get in depending on where they finish next to those two teams.

And besides, why did the league even have to do this? Judging from their statement yesterday these guys are doing a bang-up job!

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You have to love that the one area where Americans will not accept poor performing employees is NFL referees.

Draft saved Draft deleted