1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Over - Real Refs Returning. Or are they? *UPDATE* It's over.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I checked myself. It's Jane Skinner instead of Maccallum who is Goodell's wife.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So the DB pension goes away in 2016 anyways.

What the hell? I thought this was what the refs were fighting for.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder if the new officials that will be hired are really going to be "full-time". Will they be prohibited from selling insurance in the off-season or on Tuesday and Wednesday in the middle of the week?

My guess is that they will really be part-time refs but paid a lot less. I read that the highest paid college officals are in the SEC and they make $1,200 a week. So an SEC official working a bowl game clears at most 25K a year. I think most offiicals from a BSC would jump to work in the NFL for 3-4K a game, especially if they can keep thier other jobs.

I bet the NFL starts hiring the new guys at a much lower rate. In eight years the NFL largely clears out the old refs through terminations and retirements. And in eight years the NFL will have a bunch of non-union crews already on board and then they get rid of the remaining "old" officials.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

According to this guy, the refs got fucked in their deal, just like everyone else is getting fucked by corporate America:

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/09/27/922521/no-nfl-owners-didnt-lose-the-lockout-battle-with-referees/?mobile=nc

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Then vote it down. The officials were in control of the narrative and it was the NFL that had egg all over its face after the fiasco of Monday.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I still don't get this. The refs had everything in bargaining position, and still got a shitty deal? What the hell? This is bizarre.

Draft saved Draft deleted