1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's on! Survivor 19 thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Aug 31, 2009.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Re: Preseason Survivor 19 thread...

She looked better after one day in the jungle than when she first arrived on the island. Damn.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

um ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

One aspect of Russell's plan is actually solid, if you watch as much reality TV as I sadly have. As a confident male, you can quickly get the less confident players -- usually the young, less physically imposing females -- to glom onto you as perceived security, and from that point your one vote becomes a block of votes. It's happened many times. The "dumb-ass girl alliance" is not the best way to put it, but the logic behind it works.

Combined with the sabotage and the other shit, however, that's not going to last long. First time he gets caught dumping out canteens or burning clothes, there's no explaining your way out of that. And he's not playing it as smoothly as he thinks he is. His plan might hold for a few weeks, but it's doomed.

Can't blame them for casting the guy. He's definitely interesting.

4. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I don't mind a villian, but Russell is truly offensive.

He's completely sexist and I find his lie about being affected by Hurricane Katrina compltely innappropriate. I understand a lie to further your game but using a tragedy that killed more than 1,800 is below the belt if you ask me. What an ass.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Russell could be loved only by power-lusting CEOs.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A douchebag oil company owner - what a cliche.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the reunion show to see him explain that crap.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Evil Russell reminded me of the Bush Administration

oil company owner
    Katrina
    dumping liquids (TSA liquids rule)
    burning socks (TSA taking off shoes)
    Don't know if that makes Tony Blair part of the dumb-ass girl alliance.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Douchebag and oil company owner are synonymous.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Russell is a prick. He'll be gone very fast. Heck, I'd say if it's not his next tribal council, it's the one after that.

The only real way to keep an alliance going in Survivor is to set it up quickly and not let anyone know/suspect you. Dude was already accused of being untrustworthy in the first episode.

Watch out for Yasmin. She's strong, she seems to be getting along with everyone, she doesn't clash with anyone and she's just doing just enough to not be noticed and not enough to be a target. The first couple weeks, these are all vital traits to have.

If I had to bet on who I thought had the best shot of winning right now, I'd say she'd make the final four at least. My favorite has to be Jaison though, as long as he doesn't fall into the typical trap of being kicked off for being strong.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Oh lighten up. Complaining about the guy playing the asshole on Survivor is almost as bad as saying "But that murderer on CSI is a real piece of shit."

Of course he's sexist and offensive. He's going way, way, way out of his way to be as terrible as possible.
    -----

Otherwise, good episode. Could be a nice season, though it's always hard to tell. There are a number of characters I like.

I bet Shambo goes quickly. I thought I might like her, but she seems annoying.

I liked that the tall black guy was an awesome swimmer. That was fantastic.

It looks like things are already starting to unravel for the a-hole, but we don't know what has and hasn't been said. I thought he was treading on thin ice when he was daring Marisa to talk about their conversations together. I would have thought that's the last thing he wanted, no matter whether she was going to stay in the game or not. As it turned out, we didn't actually see her say anything about being in a secret alliance with him, which would have really shown the other girls how full of shit he is when they were like "Wait, I had a secret alliance with him..."

Another interesting point someone made was about the psychology of appearing to be confident, and how the weaker players will join him and form a voting bloc. Along those same lines, looking so vengeful might work in his favor too so long as he can shoot down any other alliances before they gain any power. He got more than half his tribe to send Marisa packing basically because she looked at him wrong. If there was another source of power in the tribe, they could just say "You're an ass. Adios." But as is, every person to him or herself has to be thinking "Don't fuck with that guy." I know I would, even if I was aware of how much he sucked. If you go after him and miss, you're a goner.

It is interesting to see someone go on the show just to self destruct like that. Should make for a fun few weeks.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Russell is clearly aiming to be the biggest Survivor heel ever. Or he wants his own show. One or the other. Maybe both.

Anyway, caught up with the first episode last night on PVR. Huggy Jr. wanted to know why John, the guy who swam for Galu, went in the water in shorts and came out in pants. I erased it from the PVR before we could check it. Anyone else see this? I could have sworn he was in shorts too.

Draft saved Draft deleted