1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's OK to take steroids, just as long as you don't break any records or win big

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, May 30, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Very nice article in the Star Ledger from Steve Politi about the double-standard with steroid users and the level of scorn they get directly correlating to the amount of success they achieve with the juice.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/politi/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1180500579226860.xml&coll=1

Another good point...

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Maybe he has a point, but what he says also implies that we should pity the rule breakers, not punish them. That, after all, is the most important aspect. Don't break the rules and there wouldn't be a problem.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I actually didn't get that impression at all. I think Steve's just throwing up his hands in the air in frustration over the ongoing hypocrisy.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You're right Phila. My point, while not applicable to Politi, is still valid, though, for all those in the pro-Barry (or pro-whomever) camp.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When the waitress at the diner pockets her cash tip and doesn't report it to the IRS, no one really cares. When an athlete who makes $10 mil a year takes $50 grand at a card show and doesn't report it, it's the same crime, but of a different magnitude and we all care.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Maybe it's the sheer audacity of the act that enrages the public, no?

7. I shoot up steroids at least two or three times a week. I'm as huge as a Volkswagen. I don't compete in competitions or play semi-pro sports. I just do it because the chicks fucking love the guns.

My newspaper doesn't care. Why should they? It's not like it's gives me an unfair advantage or keeps me from doing my job. And even if it did, I'd just throw my puny editor out the fucking window and blame it on roid rage.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think this gets the "No shit, Sherlock," award of the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted