1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: Von Miller suspended six games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Breaking now on Twitter, but here's a link with most of the details:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/08/20/von-miller-suspension-denver-broncos/2678349

This is one of the best young players in the league suspended for 37.5 percent of the season, a move that could really torpedo the chances of a Super Bowl contender.

I'll be interested to see what the level of outrage among the media and fans is, though I suspect PED-related middle-aged white guy anger only applies to baseball home run records.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If he's guilty, suspend him. Don't go making exceptions because someone is a good player on a good team. Hell, if Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers is guilty, suspend them, too.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The silver lining is this can be the built-in excuse when Manning blows it in January.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

After listening the past month to this stuff, all the ins and outs, all the semi-good and bad reporting and in the top three Broncos fans on this board ... I'm fine with this.

He's an irresponsible knucklehead. Clean up your act and grow the F up.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, but A-Rod.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The USA Today story danced around the issue, but isn't it believed that this is for recreational drugs? I just remember him being asked the marijuana question earlier this year and if he was technically suspended for "overhydrating" that makes it sound like this is for pot.

He sounds like a colossal dumbass, but people will forgive recreational use a lot quicker than they will PED use.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

amazing how many baseball players use PEDs in a sport with almost no physical contact yet almost no one uses PEDs in football where the injuries are more severe and the ability to comeback is more difficult.

Looks like the NFLPA and the Commissioner of the NFL have an excellent handle on this problem, or lack of a problem. Bud could take lessons from Pope Roger

8. Mizzougrad96

It will be interesting to see if the NFL can avoid the PED issues that baseball has dealt with for the last decade. Anyone who thinks NFL players aren't using anything is kidding themselves, but I get the sense that most use what they know they're not going to be tested for? I remember a player who was suspended for taking Nandrolone and another player basically said, "Why would you take that when you can take stuff they're not testing for?"

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Adrian Peterson is an amazing athlete who simply outworked and out-desired everyone else who ever tore their ACL.

10. Mizzougrad96

I tend to think Peterson is clean. He strikes me as one of those "freak of nature" guys that we see once or twice a decade.

These days who knows where the athletes go to get an advantage while coming back from an injury. You always hear about guys going to Europe or other places to get procedures that are not allowed in the US. If it's not (technically) a violation of the rules and they can get an advantage by doing it, why not do it?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If this bust was pot-related, it's just stupid. Marijuana is as good a painkiller as the addictive, liver-destroying prescription drugs half the league is using by Week 4. At the risk of sounding like Bodie here, you're talking about something that is either legal or slightly illegal, and it does a lot less damage than the stuff they're allowed to take.

12. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I have a problem with pot suspensions and Adderall suspensions... I know what the rules say, but that doesn't make them any less stupid...

Draft saved Draft deleted