1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: The Sound of Music is a huge hit and HC is employed indefinitely

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Oct 16, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The North American premiere of the Andrew Lloyd Weber production of The Sound of Music opened here in Toronto last night to rave reviews. For those of you who keep up, HC's in the show (second nun from the left & Fraulein Schweiger, second prize winner in the music contest). The show could easily run for a couple of years. .

HC, God bless her, managed to snag me a seat two rows from the stage. Kinda like watching a baseball game from the dugout.

The sets are mindboggling, the kids are adorable, Maria is fabulous, the Nazis are quite menacing and the Reverend Mother's "Climb Every Mountain" was astonishingly moving.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/518325

Believe me, there's plenty of room for amazement in this production, from the deeply liturgical prologue in which an endless line of beautifully chanting nuns fills the theatre, through the astonishing three-dimensional visualization of the mountain Maria loves so well, right down to the climactic concert scene, when Nazi banners surround the audience and the threat of death is clearly palpable.

What Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II always believed in their songs was the same thing that Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse believed in their librettos: that evil was real and powerful, but that good could conquer it if it was strong enough.

Oh and Bert Moses, the actor who plays Captain von Trapp is the brother of Mark Moses, "Duck" in Mad Men and the only American in an all Canadian cast.

Thanks, HC. It was a great night.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome news! Congrats, HC!!!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Congrats. Best wishes. Break a leg!!

So, HC is a nun? That makes two SportsJournalists.commers dating virgins!

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

She couldn't get you in as a Nazi?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's tremendous news! Congratulations.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Great news! Where can I get HC ringtones?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Great news, HC ... JR, too. :)

Guess the hills will be alive for the right reasons for a long time.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll be happy to protect the 16-year-olds.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Are you the Lonely Goatherd?

Bravo, HC.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: It's official: The Sound of Music is a huge hit and HC is employed indefinit

So the hills are alive, with the sound of paychecks?

Awesome.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fixed. :)

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would like a Sound of Music decal to put on my car.

Draft saved Draft deleted