1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official (now): Whitlock leaving the KC Star

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Could you imagine the uproar if they had installed that guy as sports editor? Hard to believe anyone could be stupid enough to do that, unless it were strictly a ceremonial position.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did he present them on the radio? In his column on Fox Sports? Via his Twitter page?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fine. You go work for him.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know newspapers are in a bad way, but I cannot believe any newspaper's management would be so self-destructive as to consider making Whitlock a member of management. That way lies madness (and lots of shitstorms). I respect Jason's talent, but man, I wouldn't hire him for any job. Too much collateral damage guaranteed.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Madness is more fun, though.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The way I imagine this scene is Whitlock in an office with the SE's boss complaining/blustering about all the problems he sees in the department and how he'd change things if he was in charge, until finally the exasperated editor says, "Fine. You think sports has all these problems? You fix them." And Whitlock replying, basically, "That's not my job."

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm shocked, shocked that this hasn't shown up here already:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/20/sports/20whitlock.html?scp=1&sq=jason%20whitlock&st=cse

Still can't get over this part:

"I will put my first two years as a columnist at The Kansas City Star, working with Dale Bye, up against any columnist in the history of American newspapers," Whitlock said on the radio program. "It’s a horribly arrogant statement. It’s a factual statement."

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, I was about to post it JW.

It is somewhat ironic that Whitlock likes to throw out "racial opportunist" on occasion and that is also a fairly accurate description of Whitlock's work.

And considering he wasn't even the top sports columnist at the KC Star while he was there, for Whitlock to call himself the best sports columnist in the country, ever, even whores working their corners would have to laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted