1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official (now): Whitlock leaving the KC Star

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Aug 17, 2010.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Cue the "I thought he already had" comments. Sorry if already posted.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/16/2154473/jason-whitlock-is-leaving-the.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whatever the real story is, it's pretty clear there's a story. Should be a good one. From Twitter:

I'm going to explain. I'm just letting the liars wrap up their false narratives first.
    about 3 hours ago via Echofon

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Cue the transparently jealous rage posts from all the guys who think they should have been big timers but never were.

3 ...

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They'll be here as soon as they finish watching SportsCenter for the fourth time and then comment on how much they hate ESPN.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe Whitlock was fired for wearing a Ball State cap while seeking Jeff George's autograph.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Give credit where credit's due. The man's played his hand very well.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In a curious way, this perhaps describes Whitlock. Even though he was quite well-known, he seemed to write and behave as if he wasn't known or rewarded well enough for his efforts.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Definitely has a chip on his shoulder ...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why would he stay at the KC Star? I think he's a lot more bluster than skill or insight, but he's a brand that's tailor made for the new media age.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It annoys me that he can post something like this with impunity, for all the world to see, and that he actually does it, with no consequences, despite the blatant public disrespect, acrimony and lack of editing, professionalism and class.

Something like this would be considered professional suicide for most of us. I wouldn't dream of ever posting/tweeting something like that and actually believing/(knowing) that I could do so without it making one whit of difference in terms of getting another good job.

It must be nice. If that makes me transparently jealous of Whitlock, well, then so be it.

Whatever greatness or talent he has succeeded with, he seems unworthy of it in my eyes.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't get your reaction. I assumed the "liars" would be all the people speculating online.

I didn't take it to mean the official story from the Star, which had no details so could hardly be a lie.

That tweet didn't bother me at all, but maybe I'm missing something.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Whitlock leaves the newspaper about the same time that Cathy the comic calls it quits?

Perhaps she's dumping Irving to have her corners worked by the pimp hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted