1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: No more sports at Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This was the story:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/23/russia-georgia-readying-end-to-blockade/

Byline reads The Washington Times, not For The Washington Times or Special to the Washington Times. So I assumed it was a staff writer.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is this the final week? I'm getting that feeling.

3. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Clayton is definitely a stringer, fwiw. TWT has a policy by which regular or exclusive stringers get a straight "The Washington Times" byline instead of the "Special To The TWT" that most of our stringers get. We have a couple guys -- running columnist, part time writers -- who get that treatment, but everyone else gets a "Special To The ..."

As for our sports department, we've still been given no official word, nothing on paper (or e-mail), that says when our last day is or when we're publishing our last issue of sports. However you are correct, we are not traveling to San Diego for the Redskins regular season finale.

The official releases have said that TWT is launching its new product/direction or whatever on Monday [ here is your link from our Web site ] but no one I know in the newsroom seems to know exactly what that product is.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thanks for that clarification, John. I remember I got a "Special to" when I used to write for them back in the day...thus my confusion.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I worked with Mark Hartsell at the Dallas Time Herald, circa 1990.
    Neither of us was on the sports desk at the time.
    Mark's a class act and I wish him and the others under the gun there all the best.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hang in there John.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So, John, does this mean it is definite there will be a "last day?" Have you been informed sports is on the way out and you're just waiting for word on when? Or is the department's existence still up in the air? I'd like to think there's still a chance they'll come to their senses.

Either way, I just want to let you know I'm rooting for you and Mark and Elfin and all the guys up there I've worked with so many times. Thanks for keeping us posted and good luck with whatever happens.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nice move by Boudreau, thanking the Times' Caps beat guy...plus, a mention of this site.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/29/AR2009122902804.html?hpid=moreheadlines

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Postie Dan Steinberg also talking about the apparent demise of the Times' sports coverage on his blog this morning; he's quite complimentary of the competition.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/12/goodbye_to_the_times_sports_se.html

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given the way this is being handled, is there any chance the final sports section is a commemorative-type thing? Or will it even be acknowledged?

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hope that's some insanely bad joke. If not...

I'll echo what others have said, but I've also met a number of people/know people at The Washington Times. I guess you don't even need half a brain to be a newspaper publisher...

12. VJ

VJ Member

There's a big package coming, yet we still haven't been officially told that Thursday for Friday is it.

Draft saved Draft deleted