1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: No more sports at Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And have a very happy Times Sportswriters Selling Flowers at Reagan National Day.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

KRMA

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

WashTimes cuts print schedule to Monday-thru-Friday. Final Sunday edition scheduled this weekend.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/12/wash-times-cuts-sunday-paper-will-publish-five-times-per-week.php

With all these cuts . . . how deep in the toilet is the WashTimes, really? Close enough to the edge to be teetering over it?

4. VJ

VJ Member

Speaking as someone who works here, we all expected this to be handled horribly. And yet it's somehow been handled even worse.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

VJ, I know this doesn't mean much, but hang in there. I'm truly sorry that you are going through this.
    Why is it that these bastards always pick the holidays to piss on people?

6. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

There is a school of thought that laying employees off during the holiday season is best for the person/people losing their jobs because it's a time of year when most folks have a built-in support system - they're surrounded by family and friends. I'm not agreeing with this, necessarily, but it is something I remember learning from a business class I took in college.

7. UMDjschool

UMDjschool New Member

WARN makes it a little easier since everyone is getting paid through the beginning of February. Its not like anyone is getting their paycheck yanked the day before Christmas.

8. VJ

VJ Member

Right, if anything people would like to be let go now so they have more time to line up new jobs rather than continuing to show up for a job they won't have in a month.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Still not certain has been made officially official.
    But I've been told by someone outside the Times that the paper isn't staffing the Redskins' final game at San Diego.
    Anyone know if that's true?
    Seems like a sign to me and not a real good one.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's definitely a sign they don't want to waste any more money on the 'Skins after Monday night!

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting. Am in the area for the week and noticed that the Times had a staff writer in Georgia (the country) writing about the Russia-Georgia border re-opening. They can't be totally poor, it seems.

12. MichaelJackSchmidt

MichaelJackSchmidt New Member

I assure you that if you saw a byline from the nation of Georgia, it was a freelancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted