1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: No more sports at Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Dec 11, 2009.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Sheesh. This is getting ridiculous.
    Every day I get more thankful for the job and measly pay I have and fret over my colleagues who no longer do.
    Good luck to those this one effects.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, fuck.

I'll keep a good thought for those affected.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

My heart goes out to those folks getting kicked in the gut.

Good luck to all affected. Damn.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No sports?
    No product. Best wishes to all.

5. UMDjschool

UMDjschool New Member

Except the Capitals have arguably the biggest name in hockey and spent a good chunk of the post season on the ice last year. DC United also has excellent talent and puts on a damn good show in the MLS.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I loathed working in this business. I don't, but being on the outside looking in, why make any effort to climb back?

Good thoughts out for some quality folks getting some undeserved and nasty news at the wrong time of year (not that there is a good time to hear this).

7. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Best of wishes and good luck to all involved.
    I said it on the first thread, but I was offered a job at the Times last year, and while I'm thankful especially now I didn't take it, it was an extremely tough decision to make.

The guys I met -- Mark Hartsell, John Taylor and Harrison Goodman -- are top-notch, great guys and it would have been an honor to work with them.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Anyone know what their rationale is? Are they hyper-focusing the paper on politics or something? It really makes no sense.

Or does the Rev. Moon just not like sports? (or the money it takes to do it properly)

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I didn't even know the Washington Times covered sports.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the earlier thread:

Washington Times Announces Additional Changes to
    Become a 21st Century Multimedia Company
    Changes include improved on-line presence, focused print edition
    and more exclusive news and commentary

WASHINGTON, DC - The Washington Times LLC today announced changes to refocus its position as a provider of vital information and insight to readers in the nation's capital, across the country and around the world. As with other news organizations in the United States, the company continues to reshape operations to keep pace with the dynamically changing economics of the news business.

"These changes will continue The Washington Times' transformation into a 21st century media company and reinforces its mission to provide an independent, alternative voice in the nation's capital," said President and Publisher Jonathan Slevin. "We have developed plans to secure our position and advance our vital role in an evolving media marketplace and through challenging economic times. A new Washington Times will continue to reach readers and more effectively earn new audiences via digital, broadcast, print and wireless media.

"Changes at the Times are rooted in a rigorous business analysis, applying sound and tested financial principles, and shaping plans informed by current marketplace realities," continued Slevin. "In this regard, the company is aggressively working to achieve efficiencies of scale that must include significant staff reduction of its 370 personnel."

Scheduled for incremental implementation between now and the first half of 2010, the changes announced include:

• News focused on strengths. The Washington Times news operation will operate in a highly
    focused manner, investing in Washington Times' well-established core strengths that include
    exclusive reporting and in-depth national political coverage, enterprise and investigative
    reporting, geo-strategic and national security news, and cultural coverage based on traditional
    values.

• Controlled-market local circulation. In the first quarter of 2010, the local print edition will be
    distributed at no cost in select areas, and home/office delivery will be offered at a premium
    price. No-cost distribution will focus on targeted audiences in branches of the federal
    government as well as at other key institutions. Single copy sales will continue through
    newspaper boxes and retailers at select locations. Current subscribers will also be offered a
    choice of subscriptions to Washington Times digital editions and The Washington Times
    National Weekly.

• Digital news resources: The company will expand the recently-launched
    theconservatives.com, subscription-based e-briefings and other new digital information
    resources as part of its online strategy.

• Radio programming. The newspaper's 3-hour-a-day morning radio program, "America's
    Morning News," will continue to grow through syndication by Talk Radio Network. The
    program currently airs in more than 70 markets nationwide.

• Partnerships. The Washington Times will work closely with its affiliate company, United
    Press International (UPI), to mutually benefit both organizations through collaboration in areas
    such as photography and online sales, as well as leveraging UPI's multi-lingual and
    international presence.

"The new Washington Times will continue to report Washington-focused news that other journalistic
    enterprises often overlook," said Slevin. "Fearless reporting, respect for American values, and crisply
    written editorials and columns will remain the centerpieces of our new strategy, and our content will
    continue to engage readers and viewers through a wide range of 21st century media."

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, it does - and does very well. The Times doesn't do preps. It does the D.C. pro teams and local colleges quite well.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think there was sarcasm there, UMD.

I'm sure the beancounters looked at their polls and found something like 17 percent of readers are sports fans. I suspect if this move is really happening, they'll soon find out something entirely different.

Draft saved Draft deleted