1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: No more sports at Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Dec 11, 2009.

1. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Apparently, the paper still intends to cover sports from time to time. After using AP all weekend, there was a staff story online today about Zorn's firing, written by what appears to be one of the paper's national news/politics writers.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ben Goessling got a gig today, good for him:

Ben Goessling Joins MASN as Nationals Reporter

Popular Nationals writer begins Monday, January 11

(Washington D.C.) -- MASN, the television home of the Washington Nationals, has announced that well-known Washington sports journalist and personality Ben Goessling has joined the network as a full-time reporter, blogger and on-air contributor. Goessling will cover the Nationals for MASNsports.com, the premier online destination for Nationals fans, beginning on January 11th.

A trusted and reliable source for the most up-to-date Nationals news, Goessling will continue writing about the team on a daily basis, hosting live chats and video blogs and making frequent appearances during MASN's pre and post game show, Nats Xtra. He will also interact with fans using Twitter, the popular social networking platform. He joins Phil Wood and Byron Kerr who continue to cover the Nationals for MASNsports.com.

Goessling enters his third year covering the Nationals after two seasons on the beat at the Washington Times, where he was a frequent contributor to Nats Xtra during the "Hot Corner" segment. In addition to covering the Nationals and two World Series, he covered the Washington Capitals, Redskins and Wizards, as well as local college basketball, the AT&T National tournament and the 2009 Frozen Four. He began his career at the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, where he covered everything from sports to local news and business, and has worked for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, where he was honored by the Minnesota Associated Press Sports Association for a 2004 investigation into allegations of coaching impropriety at the University of Minnesota.

During his years at the Washington Times, Goessling embraced the changing face of sports media by contributing to "Chatter," the Times' popular Nationals blog, hosting online chats with fans and developing a robust Twitter account, @washtimesbb.

"Ben is one of the most trusted, informative, and active members of the media covering the Nationals," said MASN spokesman Todd Webster. "We are excited that Ben is bringing his insights, perspective and work ethic to MASNsports.com, to provide Nationals fans with 24/7 access to the team."

With every Nationals game in high definition, an All Star talent team, Nats Xtra before and after every game, MASN is maximum access to the Washington Nationals. MASNsports.com provides extensive online coverage of the Washington Nationals with Adam Dunn's "Getting it Dunn" blog, Ben Goessling's daily coverage of the team, talent blogs featuring Phil Wood, Debbi Taylor, Rob Dibble, Bob Carpenter, Johnny Holliday, Ray Knight and Byron Kerr, a Nationals Buzz blog, up to the minute video clips in MASN's Media Lounge, series previews, live game blogs, a Fantasy Baseball game, statistics and more. MASN is currently carried on 23 cable and satellite providers throughout a seven-state region.

Fans can continue to follow Ben Goessling on Twitter at @masnNATS.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Per Patrick Stevens' blog, Harrison Goodman found work at the USA Today.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I just sent an e-mail to John Haydon through The Washington Times Web site. Forgive me if it's a little maudlin.

(And yes, I'm officially outing myself to those few of you who don't already know me.)

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And ... Haydon wrote me back within a few minutes, thanking me for the "kind words." He also mentioned that his son told him he'd met me and he offered to send me the last sports section The Washington Times put out.

I just got it today.

Haydon is all class. I hope he gets a chance to continue to live out his dream.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In the wake of the suit that exposed the Times' need for $40M a year from Rev. Moon's church, here's one from the church's former lawyer exposing all sorts of backstabbing, infighting and accounting oddities at the Times' highest levels.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2010/01/18/lawsuit-alleges-washington-times-power-struggle/

And the DCRTV blog reports:<blockquote>. . . rumblings of "complete and utter chaos" at the Washington Times, including the possibility of more cuts this month. "Just eight weeks under new management and they are terrified that they and the paper will not survive and are now trying to do anything to deflect attention from what appears to be a sinking ship," a source tells DCRTV.</blockquote>It's almost like Peyton Place.

Draft saved Draft deleted