1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: No more sports at Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Dec 11, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not a newspaper anymore. Sports was about the only part of the paper that was real.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So much for Moddy's income...

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not so sure it's "officially official." I don't think further word has come down since the original announcement.
    I do think it will happen, sadly. But I'm told there's been no notice given to sports that it is definite.
    Any Times guys want to chime in, you'd be welcome.

Slap, I appreciate your attempt at humor. Honest. But a whole bunch of people are almost certainly going to lose their real jobs. There's nothing laughable in this, in any way, shape or form.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, wasn't trying to be as flip as you think I might. I agree, losing jobs is not laughable -- fulltime, parttime or freelance. As I said, so much for part of your income. Any time you lose a gig, it sucks.

6. Moderator1

Actually, you said so much for my income. Not part of my income.
    I've done six stories for them. Others are losing much more and I feel awful for them.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Never really paid much attention to the Times until I moved to NOVA a year ago. Damn talented staff -- on the desk and in the field. Here's hoping they all land on their feet very, very soon.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Meant to say part... knew it wasn't all... my bad.

9. Moderator1

No worries. This one hits as close to home as probably any paper other than my old haunt, for a lot more than the work they've given me lately. I know most of them and respect their work.

I did hear from some folks there. It is indeed still not "official" but the sports department is preparing for it to become that way. Some fear it may happen before Jan. 1, so they don't have to get into paying anyone extra vacation time.

Nice f-ing business.

10. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Have been waiting to chime in on this issue for two reasons: Prayed it wouldn't happen and I hoped something profound to say would come to me.

It hasn't.

Lots of exceptional people there who don't deserve this.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well gee, it's not like Washington has anything going on in terms of sports in the town.

Sheesh. Why not just announce you're folding and get it over with already.

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

This is pretty depressing. I remember a story about Dave Smith, the old sports editor from the Dallas Morning News say that business and sports would be the main revenue generators and their focus was what made the DMN so powerful in the 80s and 90s. Have we changed so much that sports shouldn't be part if the product? Period? Also, is it true they are going to an all free model? Didn't the Examiner already bail out of Baltimore because it doesn't work? Sympathy to all at the Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted