1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

it's official: michael savage has lost it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does it really need to be in the story, though?

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I'm somewhat convinced that Michael Wiener is nothing more than an Andy Kauffman-type who made up a fake character to make a lot of money and pull a prank on society. There was a story in the National Review last year about how he made a campaign contribution to Jerry Brown and how most of his rants sound like a liberal satire of what a conservative talk show would sound like.
    But even still, the guy just churns out hate speech. I mean, he said that the big tsunami a couple of years ago was God's punishment against Muslims and the Thai sex industry. The stations that air him should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Yes, it shows motive.

4. In rebuttal, Bill, the radio stations argue...

[​IMG]

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Bingo. It's sad to think, but his crap is very profitable.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yawn and hondo are missing their shots at a big-time payday.

7. Smallpotatoes

Yeah, it's relevent if you want to fan the flames of racism, otherwise, who cares.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's not much different than what some bigtime Evangelicals said about Katrina hitting NOLA.

9. Smallpotatoes

Or what Jerry Falwell said about the 9-11 attacks.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I'd forgotten that genius sticking his Bible in his mouth.

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I live near New Orleans, and this seemed different...what Savage Weiner did was a lot worse. There was a racist/anti-Muslim angle to it. And the tsunami killed 200,000+ people and happened on Christmas, no less. The fact this dickhead was joking about it was just sick.

12. Smallpotatoes

He didn't bother showing up in person to accept it (one would think that if the award was so damned important, he would take the time to show up). He sent a DVD of a speech to be shown instead. C-Span's policy is not to cover prerecorded speeches. Then he decided to play the victim and accuse C-Span of censoring him. He did this, I suppose, so he could sell copies of the speech.
    Here is the Brian Lamb reading some e-mails from some of Savage's listeners.

Draft saved Draft deleted