1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Official: Leno out, Fallon in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Apr 3, 2013.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main reason there is no 11 p.m. Fox programming because the affiliates rake in cash for advertising sold during syndicated programming? So Fox is going to have to convince its affiliates to give up all those programming dollars for, what, five years of Leno?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Michaels has been the late night producer the whole time Fallon has been doing it, and the whole time Conan was doing it and also produced 30 Rock... This shouldn't be any big change for him.

3. Mizzougrad96

Right.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know. I was making a joke. Poorly, it seems.

5. Mizzougrad96

I'll share the blame for missing the sarcasm font. :D

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How many times has Fox tried, and failed, at late-night programming? Joan Rivers comes to mind, but, seems like there were others that were just as massive failures.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Chevy Chase was a disaster. I don't remember if Magic Johnson's and Dennis Miller's shows were Fox or syndicated.

8. Mizzougrad96

Fox's attempts have been disastrous, but I don't think they've tried since Chevy Chase. A lot has changed since then.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Our Fox station does its regular news at 9 (we do things earlier in Mountain Time Zone) and it's an hour and then another half hour at 10, which is technically separate from the first show. So if they had something at 10:30 it would be on par with the other networks. I don't know if the Fox affiliates across the country do similar things or not.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think Magic and Miller were syndicated, as was Howie Mandel, while we're on a disaster theme.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ken Tucker on late night:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9097994/assessing-state-late-night-television-shows-turbulent-week

12. Mizzougrad96

If they move The Tonight Show to NYC, the winner, without question, will be Kimmel.

Draft saved Draft deleted