1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Official: Leno out, Fallon in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/entertainment/tonight-show-host-jay-leno-on-way-out-jimmy-fallon-to-take-over-late-night-reigns

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fallon sucks. So does Leno.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love when people take over the reigns.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NBC's mistake is doing this now. Leno is still No. 1 and Fallon isn't going anywhere, and I'm guessing was not lobbying for this.

By doing this now, they're risking Leno going to Fox or getting a syndication deal and if Fallon loses NBC's grip on No. 1, he will be blamed for it.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Joey Lawrence and Patrick Duffy should be Jay's final guests.

6. Mizzougrad96

If Leno is truly content to retire to his garage and tour as a stand-up then NBC has dodged a bullet.

If he goes to Fox or gets a syndication deal, this could be almost as ugly as the Conan debacle.

Joel McHale should be a no-brainer for the 12:30 slot.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mizzou, the problem for Fox is that their prime time programming ends at 10, not 11. This puts any late night show on the network out of synch. Show it at 10:30, you're up against prime time shows. Wait until 11:30 and you have no lead-in at all, and your audience is already cutting z's.

8. Mizzougrad96

I read something that a Fox deal would have him starting at 11. Whether that would be after 30 minutes of news, and a Seinfeld rerun or 60 minutes of news, I don't know... If he's starting at 11, that could be dangerous for the other late night shows... That said, there have been similar issues that have prevented Fox from having a late night guy all this time... There are a lot of affiliates who would rather show reruns of Seinfeld or something else than show a late night show...

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even when it's reining outside?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The two major advantages for a station of being a Fox affiliate are getting NFL games and all the extra time you have to present local news (cash cow) and syndicated programs. Fox wouldn't want to mess with that, because with the decline of American Idol their network ratings are starting to deteriorate.

11. Mizzougrad96

So, it could be win-win if Fox's 10 o'clock news would go for an hour and then to Leno?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Lorne Michaels will be the producer too? I hope it doesn't hurt SNL's quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted