1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: Diets don't work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andyouare?, Apr 10, 2007.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

IJAG, I agree that Weight Watchers is probably the best choice out there. They encourage a balanced diet and insist that you maintain a minimum caloric intake as well as staying under a maximum. It's also very very flexible and encourages exercise.

I'm starting back this weekend.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Here's my diet, er, lifestyle change, the last three weeks: Cut out the crap.

No fast food, no cupcakes, ice cream, pizza, etc. Just focus on eating three healthy squares a day, salads, with snacks of fruit, pretzels, rice cakes, etc., and lots of fluids.

I haven't stepped on a scale once, though I've been able to pull my belt back a full notch. More important, it's the first eating adjustment I've ever made where I actually notice myself feeling better.

I've been walking a lot. Next week, I plan on putting the garage treadmill back in use.

I'm hoping that I can do this long enough to where it just becomes a habit.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You can't diet, per se. You have to slowly and methodically restrict your caloric intake, or else you will just lose muscle, gain fat, and experience a large 'rebound' weight gain.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

So people are always looking to diet. What does someone who's been perpetually skinny do to put on some pounds? I've tried numerous things over the last five years and still I'm skinny as a twig.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Weight gain/protein powder and some good weight lifting/calisthenics. You will definitely put on weight. :)

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Cork in the @ss?

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Hmm, your ways intrigue me, I would like to learn at your knee

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If aging until your metabolism slows down doesn't work, then try drinking Ensure. Have a lot of protein shakes, too.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm on a short-term, hard-core diet -- lost 16 pounds in about 3 weeks. Mainly doing it for my June wedding.
    That said, as some of you have said, dieting isn't meant to be long-term anyway. It's a way to lose weight until you get to an ideal weight. In my case, once I reach my goal (about halfway there), I plan on loosening up on some of some of the more extreme parts of my diet and trying to maintain healthy eating -- something I've never done in my life.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, I'm fucking up a sixer of High Life right now, so there goes the diet.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If he's serious about the cork in the ass, you might want to learn at his shoulder instead.

12. Low-carb diet worked wonders for me. Just sayin.

Weight's been off for almost three years now.

Draft saved Draft deleted