1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: Dallas-FW to share sports content

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Well, they did, maybe. At some point. Not now.

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Of course, he didn't say "nationally recognized as being great," just that they're "recognized." At this point, it's more for the negative than the positive, but I think they are, technically, recognized. Just not in the way he wants people to think they are. And, unfortunately, this seems to be the trend all over the place.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

my friend at Ft Worth Star-Telegram just emailed me and told me this won't be the last change probably coming about, either...may further tweak other beats and coverage between the two papers.

4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Can we do something to eliminate these ridiculous comments and the editors that make them?

How the mighty have fallen ...

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

is it really that complicated? it's not 'exclusive' like that term once was. but only the reporter for the StarGram will be in the clubhouse or locker room covering the team. he will be out there interviewing players and breaking news. the BLOGS will follow. that means the paper has the exclusive coverage.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

on the state of our business, let me share this interesting little tid-bit with you. was talking to the boss man this morning about the gloom and doom of the newspaper world and he said our chain of small daily papers was doing very well and particularly ours. he said we had a super 2008. so I quipped, "so that means all of us here can be expecting raises soon?"
    oh, if you could have seen the look and heard the sudden switch in subject content. it was one of those weak grins that said, "why in the hell did you ask me that?"
    so the good news at our place is that we're doing fine, but don't expect any individual compensation from it....

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I worked for about 10 years for one of the big three DFW papers---to include the Dallas Times Herald---in the '80s and into the '90s and those were truly glorious days of gerat competition, ample coverage and a lot of nice enterprise. In those days, a lot of money was being poured into sports coverage and we were making money. Yup, those were the days. Fans across the Metroplex got their fill, and as competitive as things were, all the scribes got along with each other pretty well. Anyway, just a quick aside to all this . . .

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

The same story - with the same byline - in separate papers (former rivals, mind you) meets the definition of "exclusive" to you?

Um, no.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Exclusive isn't the word.

Why is everyone getting so worked up over the usage of the word?

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

The newspapers will now share their "coverage."

That's all it is. Coverage. Nothing exclusive about it.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Does either paper cover the Stars?

12. micke77

micke77 Member

almost sure it's the Dallas Morning News.

Draft saved Draft deleted