1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: Cheerleading is a sport

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Jan 27, 2009.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

We can cover this instead of the pros ... ;D

MADISON, Wis. (AP) _ High school cheerleading is a contact sport and therefore its participants cannot be sued for accidentally causing injuries, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled Tuesday in a case being closely watched in the cheerleading world.

The court ruled that a former high school cheerleader cannot sue a teammate who failed to stop her fall while she was practicing a stunt. The court also said the injured cheerleader cannot sue her school district.

The National Cheer Safety Foundation said the decision is the first of its kind in the nation.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No, it's not official.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The Wisconsin Supreme Court has obviously never had to write a "gamer" on a cheerleading meet.

Cheerleading IS NOT a sport. Therefore, the Wisconsin court is NOT SUPREME. 8)

4. KP

KP Active Member

Hopefully this ruling leads to the ultimate downfall of this "sport".

If cheerleading were truly a contact sport, you might be able to get me to go. Think about it, Suzie from Podunk takes a 30-yard run and crashes into the left corner of Shitsville Tech's pyramid base.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's a good decision by the court. The cheerleader was suing a 16-year-old male cheerleader for not catching her when she fell.

It seems to me -- at least in this area -- that as cheerleading becomes more and more for tiny gymnasts, that the high school and college dance teams are taking over the spotlight and edging out the cheerleaders.

They are flipping themselves out of business.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Can she use a bo staff?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great decision by the court. A quarterback can't sue his left tackle for failing to pick up the corner blitz and preventing a concussion, either.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Two words for why athletic activity associations want to represent cheerleading as a "sport."

Title IX.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not a sport before. Not a sport now. Not a sport ever.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the distinction here is "contact." They aren't trying to make newspapers cover cheerleaders.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I need locker room access now for interviews.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are third on the waiting list for the peephole. Will you be needing to rent a video camera?

Draft saved Draft deleted