1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 20, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s only in one small part of California, and most of those folks have never been to a rodeo.

maumann likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My kid has hated the Peanuts, all of them, since before she give voice to it. Was never big on any of the Christmas specials I grew up with, and still love, but would never watch Charlie Brown once she could choose.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The story goes that when Harry Truman's whistlestop tour in 1948 stopped in San Jose, he told the story about a conductor talking to a passenger headed east from California. The passenger talked about visiting San Jose, pronouncing the J like one would in English. The conductor corrected him, saying J's were pronounced like H's in California. So the kept talking and eventually the passenger said he may go back to California next year. The conductor asked when and the passenger replied, "Oh, in Hune or Huly."

maumann likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Exemplary Narcissism of Snoopy

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

One thing that's worth noting on this topic is that, according to a rather exhaustive biography of Schulz, the inclusion of Needles, Calif., is not an accident. His family relocated there from about 1929-31 in something of a "Go West, Young Man" kind of venture, hated it and moved back to Minnesota.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the classic Charlie Brown thread, Charlie Brown?

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Also: Snoopy Come Home FUCKED ME UP as a kid. My daughter is eight and I'd show her both Hostels back to back before I exposed her to Snoopy Come Home.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Watched the Thanksgiving one tonight and holy shit that was terrible. I had no recollection of how awful it really was. We did get a good laugh out of Charlie Brown identifying himself as Charlie Brown to his grandparents, and how Chuck & Co. suddenly got a ride to his grandparents' house. But otherwise it was unwatchable.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I will fight you.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Meet you at Penn Station, JERK.

Huggy likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.