1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not so good to try to be great

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 4, 2008.

1. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

Didn't the same thing happen on the Pats last TD? Players slip, trip, stumble or whatever else. It happens all the time. The Giants just beat up the Pats all game long and won. They played better plain and simple.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm with you. I wanted to see perfection, just to say that I did indeed witness it. I don't give a rat's ass about Belichick's character flaws (I got over those in 1995) or the perception that the Patriots cheated.

The Patriots strove to be something unique in this era of mediocrity. I salute that.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One day the Raiders hope to catch it.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The reason I thought you had such a point is that I got the idea that you were saying that what happened yesterday shows how meaningless the regular season can be.
    The main defense I hear for the way big-time college football decides its champion is that to win the championship a team has to prove itself to be the best all season long, not just be good enough during the regular season to get into the playoffs, then get hot during the playoffs.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just win a couple, baby!

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

This thread idea is moderately full of fail...

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've got to agree with you and many others Buddah....it's not like the Pats set out with a written/unwritten goal of going undefeated. However, in the every game counts so much setup of the NFL, you certainly can't fault a team for trying to win every game they can. To do any less would be so horrifically unprofessional. The goal is to win.

Just because four wild card teams have won the Super Bowl in recent years doesn't mean that's the formula to work on. If I thought that were the approach my team was taking, and I had tickets to one of their "it's ok if we lose" games, I'd be mighty pissed. And they likely wouldn't be my team for much longer.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're making all this up. Tom Brady is pure class. He was belittled by Anthony Smith. He earned the right to go yell at him! [/fanboi nation]

PS: Don't forget him completely ignoring Manning when Manning said hello yesterday. Or Anklebootgate.

I'd love to know what happened to the laid-back guy who took a nap before Super Bowl XXXVI. He would have slapped Eli's hand, not glared at him, a la Derek Jeter to Ken Huckaby. I like seeing Brady lose. A lot.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You think teams will try to emulate the Giants and be a 5th seed that has to win three games on the road to get to the Super Bowl, instead of trying to emulate the Pats, who were the top seed and only had to win two home games to get there? One of the reasons you try to win every game is to put yourself in the best possible playoff position and thereby have the best possible chance of winning the championship. But the entire point of the season is to be at your best in the playoffs. The Patriots knew that, and they failed to achieve it. I think what you're saying, TSP, is that you wish the Pats had been good enough to attain perfection. But they weren't. That's not the fault of the system, that's the fault of the Pats.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Damned good point, Broadway Joe.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think "entirely" would be more accurate.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Teams strive to win nearly every game. It just happens that while trying to win, they usually lose a couple. You think the '85 Bears did not try to win that game against Miami? The '84 Niners tried to lose their game? They played just as hard to win as they did in the other games. It just happens that they lost.

What about the Pats maybe taking it easy in the later part of the season thinking they might lose, no big deal, but they win anyway?

I think the NFLers know that the minute they relax they get walloped. The NFL is not built to allow coasting.

Draft saved Draft deleted