1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not my fault I gamble!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Is this the same woman who was driving with the McDonald's coffee between her legs?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She also wants McDonald's to pay damages because her kid is fat.

The think about that McDonald's coffee case... It was real... and they were apparently just trying to get the settlement, figuring McDonald's would just pay a hundred grand or whatever to avoid the costs of the trial... McDonald's didn't, though, I guess figuring they'd be inviting more suits, and somehow the dumbest lawsuit in the world turned into a seven day trial with experts arguing about coffee temperatures.

3. And you don't know dick about it, as usual.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I hate the victimization card, however, I'm thinking that I'm rooting for the victim to win this one in order to set a precedent for the rest of us degenerate other gamblers.......... ;D

5. What jury would give a gambler $20 million?

6. The Big Ragu

Then why not set everyone straight instead of stalking me to every thread I post on to make a public showing of calling me a moron?

If I stipulate that I don't know dick about anything and I'm an absolute dunce, and then I kiss your ring, anoint you the message board champion of the world and get pelted with rotten fruit, will it satisfy whatever whacked need you're satisfying?

7. part-timer

part-timer Member

This reminds me of the lawsuit Leonard Tose filed back in the 90s after he had to sell the Eagles to cover his losses in AC. It seemed the free drinks he kept getting caused him to gamble more.
    Hope all goes well for your brother, IJAG.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Riiiiight.

Oraclehole pipes up again.

9. For the Invisible Hand crew, the McDonald's suit is shorthand for frivolous lawsuits. (So are those against the Dalkon Shield and all of those that attempt to hold corporate thugs responsible for hurting people, but that's your ideology, not mine.) Actually, it's a textbook case of corporate irresponsibility.

The 79-year old woman' -- who was not driving the car -- suffered full
    thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body,
    including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin
    areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she
    underwent skin grafting. She also underwent debridement
    treatments -- Great fun, I can assure you. She tried to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.
    Discovery revealed 700 cases of people burned by McD's coffee between 1982 and 1992. It also brought out McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of the hazard, including documentary evidence and testimony to the effect that McDonald's knew damn well the coffee didn't have to be that hot and that it hadn't even studied the safety ramifications of serving it that way.
    There's more, and this case is a lot of things, but a frivolous lawsuit, it ain't.

10. The Big Ragu

1) I didn't say the woman wasn't hurt. That is not the issue.

2) She went from asking McDonald's to pay her medical bills--and they said no--to a lawyer jumping on board and ratcheting up the dollar amounts, trying to get McDonald's to settle for $300,000 to avoid a trial. They said no to that, too. And it ended up with a trial with experts debating each other about coffee temperatures.

3) If you put a hot cup of coffee on your lap, while you sit in a car and pull on the lid, common sense for most people dictates that there is a chance--even though it doesn't happen often--that you are going to end up with third-degree burns. Lots of people don't wear seatbelts, either. It doesn't mean the car itself is negligently unsafe. Hot cups of coffee can burn people. Should anyone be surprised that out of the billions of people served (it says it on the sign) that a whopping 700 people over a decade who had hot coffee at McDonald's complained to the company about spilling it on themselves and it burning them?

4) McDonalds has done way more harm to people by contributing to heart disease and diabetes than it has by selling hot cups of coffee. Just my opinion. Again, in my opinion, anyone who walks in there and willingly buys and eats the food shouldn't be allowed to then sue for negligence. The same way that anyone who sits in a car with a scalding hot cup of coffee in their lap, shouldn't be allowed to sue the person who sold her the coffee when she burns herself. Apparently lots of people agree with my perceptions, because it became a poster-child for how ridiculously litigious we have become when a lawyer emerged from that mess suing for negligence and damages and the thing ended up sitting at trial for a week.

11. And that's an awful lot of effort to prove that, yes, you don't know dick about this case.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hope everything goes well with your brother, ma'am. I made a similar deal with my big sister, too, only it was for something completely different. That's why we've got you women in our lives.

Draft saved Draft deleted