1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not just pay your damn health care bill" but pay it like we want it!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jun 7, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110606/od_yblog_upshot/penny-offense-man-fined-for-paying-fee-in-pennies

I'd pay a $500 bill in pennies.

Screw em.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How is that any different than some places refusing to take any bill larger than a $20?

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Because a $100 on a robbery can be a pain in the ass.

Hand a robber $500 in pennies and he drops and runs.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One difference isnthat if you try to pay with a bill larger than a $20 you don't get arrested.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Cut the guy some slack. Probably a sportswriter who'd just cashed his paycheck.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Stupid way to wage a protest. But I can assure you that if that happened at one job I had in healthcare, we would have taken it and said "thank you."

But if the man had any perspective, pay the $25 bill and STFU. People commonly have medical bills one hundred to one thousand times worse. A twenty-five-dollar bill might be a nickel-and-dime (or in this case, a penny) annoyance, but there are bigger fish to fry. Save your indignation for something better.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's probably more of a security thing. I'm guessing most places that have that policy (small restaurants, convenience stores, places like that) aren't able to break a $50 or a $100 bill without cleaning out the register. Next time you buy a Coke at the gas station, pay attention to how much cash is actually in the register. Not a lot.
    Many places require the cashiers to drop their $20 bills in a safe pretty quickly.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've heard this tactic used before, for tax payments (like in the story), and library fines. Stuff like that.

Years ago, when I was a teen, I was in a disputed car accident. I say disputed, because I didn't actually hit the guy, but he claimed I ran him off the road (this was at a mall entrance), and caused him to scrape his 20-year-old car into one of the decoration rocks. Cop came, yelled at me a bit, too. Long story short, guy claimed he had $100 in damage to his shitty car, which wasn't even worth that muc. My father agreed to it to get the asshole to shut up, then I suggested paying him in a hundred $1 bills.

We meet, I give the guy his hundred ones. Guy has this priceless look on his face. He decides to count them out. There were only 99 of them. And the idiot actually complained about the dollar. My dad laughed, and gave it to him.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

2 words

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

If the pennies are rolled most places will take them.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I did this once. When I was a teenager the weekly paper route I worked for gave me a bonus for getting some new subscribers. I quit when I got a real job, and then a few weeks later they sent me a bill trying to get back the bonus saying the new subscribers all quickly canceled.

They kept harassing me about it -- it was like 16 bucks or so -- and so I got it all in pennies, nickles, and a few dimes, and rode my bike over to give it to them. Along the way some of the coins fell out, and a few weeks later I got a bill for something like 19 cents or whatever. All I remember is the bill the company sent me was for less than the postage stamp it cost to send the bill. I laughed at it, ignored it, and never heard from those cheap bastards again.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why would that be your fault that the subscribers canceled, and why should you have to pay for their lousy retention efforts?

I wouldn't have paid them anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted