1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Not Awesome Baby!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Dec 18, 2007.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He was doing an Arizona-UCLA game at Pauley Pavilion, big game at the end of the Pac-10 season. He spent most of the pregame inciting the student section, which was right behind press row. He got the students fucking rabid.
    Then the game was a gut-jerker decided in the final seconds. UCLA wins, the fans rush the court, knocking over tables on press row. Notes and headsets and water bottles were flying everywhere.
    Then he complains to UCLA officials that he will never do another game there unless they increase security. He created the situation then demanded they keep it in check.
    I'm sorry for his medical woes ... but, you know, he did it to himself.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Vitale offering to pay for the kid's tuition if he nails a half-court shot at midnight madness--and then leaping into the kid's arms when he hit the shot--still ranks as one of the great moments in ESPN history.

Ditto for Vitale promising to do a headstand if Austin Peay beats Providence.

As for the rest of that sad-sack crew, every time I see Digger Phelps, I wonder if Jamie Moyer tries to convince his wife to have Christmas at HIS parents' house this year.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The best outcome: Everything works out well for Vitale but the doctor tells him that it will be harmful for him to yell.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Geez, spoiled sport. Do you want us to get a cardboard cut-out of Dickie for you?

5. lono

lono Active Member

Get well soon, Dick.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I always aspired to be one of the reporters he mentioned on-air during a telecast.

Sadly, I have yet to achieve it :'(

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

While I won't miss his act, from what everyone has said, he is a genuinely nice guy that is just suffering from a major bout of over-enthusiasm. Best of luck & I hope he comes back at full strength.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3194896">Vitale has been cleared to return next month and his first game back -- you guessed it -- is expected to be a Duke game ... against North Carolina on Feb. 6.</a>

9. Back in the hospital February 7 with a relapse.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd say he got plenty of mileage on those pipes. Speedy recovery, Dickey V.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Of course... as a fan, getting jacked up for a game leaves you no choice but to storm the court, knock over tables and cause general chaos.

I'd also blame the team for giving the fans something to be excited about and the cheerleaders for doing their part to keep the crowd into the game... What were they thinking?

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

True story about Dickie V.

When I was in college and writing for the student paper, one of the guys I work with wrote a column saying it was time for Dick Vitale to retire.

The next day, I answer the phone to the sports pod. Loud voice, "Hey is John Doe there?!?" I tell him sure, and transfer the call.

It was Dick Vitale. Not mad or anything. Just wanted to talk about the column, did he really think he should retire? John told him sure, stuck his guns and they ended up having a friendly 15-minute conversation.

Later in the week, John got an autographed picture of Vitale, and he wrote on it: John, keep up the good work. You're Awesome Baby! Dick Vitale

Yes, the guy is an ACC/Big East/SEC cheerleader, but he is as genuine of a person as there is out there and I would take his knowledge of college basketball over anyones.

Draft saved Draft deleted