1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Not Awesome Baby!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Dec 18, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hopefully, this is nothing more than a minor setback and nothing really serious for one of my favorite people in all of sports.
    I've known Dick Vitale since I was in high school and he was coaching in a little town in New Jersey. His passion for basketball is the same now as it was when I first met him -- and a bunch of my buddies played for him -- in 1964.
    The schtick might have gone a little over the top through the years, but the love of the game and his caring for people is genuine.

Hurryback, Dickie V.

2. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Vitale wrote the letter himself. He even writes long-winded.

With that said, college basketball wouldn't be where it is today without his many contributions. For better or worse, I'm not sure ESPN would be close to what it is today without Vitale's early efforts.

3. We might still have Aussie Rules, though.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was flipping around a few weekends ago and caught an old college hoops game on ESPN Classic, I think it was an ACC Championship Game from the 80s, and I was amazed at how much Vitale's style has changed in the last 20+ years.

There was no screaming, no hype. Yeah, he got excited about things but he was more of an analyst than a showman. And he was better than anybody you can find now. Including himself.

I'm not trying to rip the guy, even though it looks like it. I've met him a couple of times and he comes across as a generally nice guy. It was just nice, and sad at the same time, to hear him just call a game.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

As much as Vitale's on-screen antics sometimes annoy the hell out of me, the man has been nothing but absolute class every time I've met him. I remember being a student paper reporter and getting the chance to sit down and shoot the breeze with him before a game, and he couldn't have been more cordial and willing to tell funny stories.

Best of luck, Dick, and hurry back. One thing's for sure, college basketball isn't the same without you (though you could take it down a notch sometimes).

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'll go along with most of that, but strongly disagree on Bilas. The guy gets points for not having a hey-look-at-me shtick, and he actually talks basketball -- on the floor x's and o's. Ever seen his pieces where he breaks down offenses of the Final Four teams, taking five players onto a court to walk through it? Very good stuff. He's one of the few analysts who doesn't just spout the obvious.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will third that Dick Vitale is an awesome guy to the little guys in the journalism business.

Funny story, though I haven't experienced this directly: A guy at the last stop I was at was friends with Vitale, and would occasionally use him to get a quote or two. He'd often call Vitale's cell phone and leave a message saying he was interested in hearing Dick's thoughts on Joe Blow the point guard.

Vitale would call back and if my buddy didn't answer, he would bellow a 45-second Vitale rant onto his voice mail about how awesome Joe Blow was.

I will also tell you this: He's pretty much the same guy off camera that he is on camera. So much energy.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jeez, the man has season tickets to the Rays and actually uses them. He has suffered enough.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hopefully Dickie V won't come back in February and he will take the rest of the season off so he can fully rest and heal his vocal cords so he will be back to full health in early April.

10. Yes, Dickie V's schtick can be over the top, and yes, sometimes he approaches (surpasses?) self-parody. But you cannot understate his passion and love for the game. He has made it better for players, coaches, writers and fans.

And I've never seen him big-time anybody. He was nice to me as a student writer and cub, and whenever I run into him now, he's friendly and genuine. He knows he's a lightning rod and loves it.

Get well soon, Dick.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He might be annoying on the air, but the act belies a genuine concern for people. Get well soon!

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hurry back, baby.

Draft saved Draft deleted