1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not about the movies, it's about the popcorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 9, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080208.wrcineplex08/BNStory/robNews/home

While box office revenue still represents 61 per cent of Cineplex's overall take, it grew just 6.5 per cent in 2007. By contrast, concession sales were up 10 per cent, and now make up 29 per cent of revenue. Other revenue - mostly advertising in theatres, and in Cineplex's magazines and websites - jumped a healthy 19 per cent, making up 10 per cent of the take for the first time.

That "Large Popcorn, two large soft drinks" combo that they sell for $12.95 represents about, oh, probably $12.00 gross profit.

That's why they don't really care if you buy one ticket and see three movies.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We also live about three minutes from the busiest Cineplex Odeon in the country.

In addition to several acres of free parking, there are also three restaurants/bars on the site, all owned by the same company but appealing to different demographics.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You found that out, too, eh?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, not me personally but my kids will theatre hop.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's pretty easy when there are 20-screen theaters with no employees past the front door.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I still enjoy going to the movies because you're locked in for two hours.

It's the last vestige of a communal experience.

7. Keep the Invisible Hand out of my large bucket.

8. It's not the hand you need to worry about ...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=popcorn+trick

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Ah yes... Mickey Rourke in "Diner."

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One of my Top Five movies of all time.

It was just on the Movie Network last Saturday

All I did was I parked the car on a nice lonely road, I looked at her, and I said fuck or fight

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's precisely why I DON'T like going. Those whiny, sniffling, seat-kicking, crying kids and their smelly parents? You're stuck with them for two hours.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, that is the biggest downside to the theater.

But it is a plus that I can quickly flash my college student ID (ragged as it may be) and still get in for the student rate. That said, I still don't go to the theater very often.

Draft saved Draft deleted